cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ethulin
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,068
Message 1 of 2

When internal, hard drive will boot just fine. When USB, hard drive will not boot (blue screen)

I am trying to upgrade my hard drive and clone the old one to it in my X201. I have been told that I need to first replace the old hard drive with the new one, then boot off the old one via USB. I can then clone the old one to the new one.

When inside the system, my hard drive boots just fine. However, when I hook up the hard drive externally and boot from it, it gets to the Windows logo then blue screens very quickly and reboots.

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,050
Message 2 of 2

Re: When internal, hard drive will boot just fine. When USB, hard drive will not boot (blue screen)

I had the same issue when upgraded HDD to SSD in my x220. I think it's Lenovo hidden partittion related behavior (System_DRV in my case). And MBR of course. Just swap the drives and clone the old HDD to the new one.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors