cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jelarvforum
Serial Port
Views: 16,950
Message 1 of 8

Which Digital Pens/Stylus Is Compatible with X1 Yoga?

Before my question,  I just bought the newly-released X1 Yoga and not sure if I should be in the "X1" or "Yoga" forum.

The digital pen that comes with the machine is too small to use for taking notes. So I ordered 3 different "ThinkPad" digital pens on Amazon and none will work.  I can't find any specs on Lenovo that explain which Wacom pens to use (it's clear Wacom would be the obvious choice because the machine has Wacom software pre-loaded). But even Wacom's site isn't clear...it shows only one pen that's compatible with ThinkPad products but it's not for sale on their site OR ANY OTHER SITE.

Where do I get a regular sized digital pen/stylus for the ThinkPad X1 Yoga?

Guru
Views: 16,909
Message 2 of 8

Re: Which Digital Pens/Stylus Is Compatible with X1 Yoga?

@jelarvforum wrote:

I can't find any specs on Lenovo that explain which Wacom pens to use (it's clear Wacom would be the obvious choice because the machine has Wacom software pre-loaded).

In contrast to older ThinkPads, the ThinkPad X1 Yoga doesn't use the Wacom EMR (Electro-Magnetic Resonance) technology. Instead, it uses the Wacom Active ES (Eletrostatic) technology.

jelarvforum wrote: 

Where do I get a regular sized digital pen/stylus for the ThinkPad X1 Yoga?

Have a look at the ThinkPad Pen Pro (4X80H34887).

The Wacom "Bamboo Smart for Select Tablets and 2-in1 Convertible Devices" is compatible as well, but it won't be available until February. Both pens are powered by an AAAA battery.

A short video about the ThinkPad Pen Pro:

Product Overview: https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/options/tp_active_capacitive_pen_4x80h34887.pdf

Setup Poster: https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/options/tp_active_capacitive_pen_sp40h34890.pdf

jelarvforum
Serial Port
Views: 16,889
Message 3 of 8

Thanks so much!

I found the "2-in-1" you mentioned about a week ago but couldn't figure out why Wacom wasn't selling it on their site.  Thanks to your help, now I know.  i just ordered the ThinkPad Pen Pro, which it says will be delivered within 7 business days.

Thanks!

jelarvforum
Serial Port
Views: 16,845
Message 4 of 8

The ThinkPad Pen Pro arrived yesterday.  Yes, it works with the new X1 Yoga but it's not much of an improvement from the stylus that comes with the device, in terms of comfort.  The pen is longer and wider than the stylus but it's smooth metal and doesn't sit comfortably in my hand.

There are two buttons on the pen, but I can hardly see them unless I'm in bright light and they aren't indented very much so it's difficult to feel them by touch.  I'm going to check at an office supply store to see if I can get a pencil grip to put around it to make it fit more comfortably in my hand.

Zyfihx
What's DOS?
Views: 12,545
Message 5 of 8

So you ordered the bamboo stylus ?

I'd like to know, apart from the hold in hand feeling, which isn't that positive, is the stylus more precise than the included one ? Because I find that for drawing the small pen which is stored inside the yoga x1 is a little too imprecise. It's hard to get small details right !

Thanks Smiley Wink

EssenceBlue
SCSI Port
Views: 5,094
Message 6 of 8

I find no information concerning compability of the Thinkpad Active Pen 2
Does the X1 Yoga support that pen, or vice versa?

kallst
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,564
Message 7 of 8

It appears that none of the Wacom pens has a built in eraser. I used an old Toshiba Portege pen with my Gen 2 Yoga but they don't work on the Gen 3. Is there a pen out there with an eraser on the other end?

dv2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,594
Message 8 of 8

The Microsoft Surface pen has a virtual “eraser” function, that works on the Surface in OneNote, both Windows 10 Store App and Desktop2013/2016/365versions of OneNote. I haven’t tried other applications.

I was not able to get this pen to work with even a modicum of accuracy for normal pen use on my Thinkpad X1 Tablet 3rd ed. in Dec 2018 software versions.  Eraser function also didn’t work on the X1 Tablet.

I just saw a Synaptics update today, so I’ll see if there’s any new compatibility, but I doubt it.  I just lost my Lenovo pen, so I will probably get a Wacom replacement

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors