Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AnthonyMasure
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,767
Message 1 of 5

Which WWAN option ? (4G SIM Data)

Hi,

I wan to buy a X1 Carbon with a SIM port for 4G Data. I live in France and my career operator is Orange.

> What is the difference between "Bande large mobile intégrée 4G LTE (Huawei ME906S)" and the more expensive "Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A (Sierra Wireless EM7455)"?

> What is the SIM card format? Mini SIM?

Thanks for helping,

Anthony

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,751
Message 2 of 5

Re: Which WWAN option ? (4G SIM Data)

Hello

I hope you mean x1 carbon 4th generation laptop (Machine Type 20FB, 20FC), since this generation only supports wwan cards you mentioned.

Sierra em7455 and Huawei me906s are based on the different platforms (Qualcomm and Hisilicon Balong, respectively) and have a lot of principal differences:

- em7455 supports more number of LTE frequency bands, TDD including, for cellular operators of LTE networks almost worldwide. Regarding European LTE and 3g networks support, Orange in particular, modems are the similar

- em7455 supports modern technology - LTE-Advanced Cat.6. It means carrier aggregation and, as result, more wide frequency resource and faster speed - up to 300mbps DL and 50 mbps UL. While me906s supports "only" Cat.4 specification and speed up to 150/50 mbps. Most LTE networks operators in France, Orange including, support Cat.6 technology

- disadvantage of the modem em7455 is its inability to work in the 2G networks (GPRS/EDGE). I.e. this modem will be useless in the area with restricted coverage of the 3g/LTE networks

- regarding the location services em7455 suports Euopean Galileo satellite system, as well GPS and Glonass Huawei modem does too.

x1c gen4 has Micro-SIM card slot.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Anniversary Edition. #Retro. Special. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное     Moto En

AnthonyMasure
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,735
Message 3 of 5

Thank you x220forme, I'll have a look at the Sierra em7455! Don't need 2G coverage.

It's indeed the X1 Carbon 4th gen.

chuckb74
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 6,306
Message 4 of 5

I have thesame question as the Original Poster except I live in the US.  I am interested in the X1 Carbon 4th Gen and I am a AT&T customer.  Which WAN card is compatible with AT&T.  Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,300
Message 5 of 5

chuckb74,

wwan otions for x1c gen4 have been listed above. Both of them will work in the AT&T LTE networks. But Huawei em906s will work in the restricted US regions as this modem supports not full number of the frequency bands AT&T LTE networks operate in, 2 of 5.
At the same time em7455 supports 4 of 5 bands, including the most widespread in the US band B4 with Carrier Aggregation.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Anniversary Edition. #Retro. Special. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное     Moto En

Top Kudoed Authors