Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

09-17-2019

Switzerland

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 5

Which parts of a Lenovo X1 are exactly made of carbon and could it cause cancer?

2021-03-08, 14:19 PM

The touchpad on my Lenovo X1 is a dirt collector at its best and when I tried to scrape the dirt out between touchpad and rollcage, I came to notice that the black coating had come off slightly and that the usually white dirt was mixed with black and grey powder.

My thought: That's actually part of the legendary carbon-fiber casing there.

My concern: Carbon fiber is known to be cancerous. And that's powder there.

My two questions at this point:

1) What parts of the X1 casing are actually made of carbon fiber?

2) Is it possible that it comes off as grey powder? (That the casing is actually eroding seems to me as a fact given the black coat having come off and some greyish interior is shown. Fingernails might have exacerbated the process.)

3) Assuming that carbon fiber is not simply carbon fiber, how does this type of carbon fiber (composite?) relate to the news on carbon causing cancer in the news? (Asbestos like carbon fiber cutting through lung tissue and the likes.)

Any engineers in here that know the details about the X1 structure and materials?

Options

3174 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

254 Signins

16015 Page Views

• Views: 16015
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Which parts of a Lenovo X1 are exactly made of carbon and could it cause cancer?

2021-03-08, 14:50 PM

Hello UserBUG,

Greetings

I'm sorry to tell that I don't have the information if there are real carbon fiber parts on the machine.

However, what I can assure you is that the machine is safe to use.
It has Green Certifications: ENERGY STAR 8.0, TCO, and EPEAT Gold. You can view the Product Specifications Reference

Another documentation is the user manual, this contains the safety precautions information.

Lenovo complies with European Union RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive)

Kindly check the link: 
http://www.lenovo.com/social_responsibility/us/en/RoHS_communication.pdf

Regards, 

Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

27 Posts

06-02-2020

Trinidad and Tobago

31 Signins

215 Page Views

• Views: 215
  • Message 3 of 5

Re:Which parts of a Lenovo X1 are exactly made of carbon and could it cause cancer?

2021-03-08, 15:55 PM

You can make powder from grinding many solids, the question of it being carcinogenic through inhalation lies with the type of material. 

You might be confusing carbon fibers with carbon nanotubes which is much smaller hence the association with asbestos.

What gen is your X1?

I'm not sure what your palm rest is but it might be a magnesium PPS hybrid not carbon fiber.

~ Digital Audio Workstation Life ~
Options

4 Posts

09-17-2019

Switzerland

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-03-13, 10:43 AM

The S/N tag reads 20QE-SA1100. I think that's a 2019 or 2020 model, isn't it?

Is the Carbon X1 made out of that nanotube material?

Options

27 Posts

06-02-2020

Trinidad and Tobago

31 Signins

215 Page Views

• Views: 215
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-03-15, 13:21 PM

No I doubt that very much because nanotubes are different.

According to psref the "top" is carbon fiber and the "bottom" is magnesium alloy.

Only lenovo can really say what the dust is, but if I had to guess it might be some epoxy or other resin used in CFRP which can also be dangerous.

As I said before you can get dust from grinding anything, so you should not be maintaining your laptop like that to begin with.

It's much easier to just unscrew the trackpad (following exact lenovo guidelines) and clean it if the gunk bothers you that much (which is not difficult). At the same time if you are still under warranty you have to be guided by what you should and should not do to not void it.

If I were you I'd take a lightly damp cloth and wipe the dust off, then dispose of the cloth because it might harden after being wet.

~ Digital Audio Workstation Life ~
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms