cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LionDrawing
Blue Screen Again
Views: 479
Message 1 of 5

Why is my WLAN card slot narrower than my WWAN card slot (PCIe mini)?

Hello All,

I'm looking under the hood of my 1st gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon, and I'm trying to identify the PCIe slots.  In particular, the following page states that I should have 2 PCI Express Mini slots:  https://support.lenovo.com/au/en/solutions/pd027202

Now I see the WLAN card and the WWAN card, and my natural assumption is that these are both in PCIe ports, but on closer inspection I see that the WLAN card's slot is only 19mm wide, whereas the WWAN card is the standard 26mm width of normal PCIe Mini ports.

This raises some questions:

1. Is the WLAN connected to a proprietary slot, or is this just a different type of PCIe standard?

2. If the WLAN is connected to a proprietary slot, where is my second PCIe slot?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Regards,

Adam Zebrowski

-az

LionDrawing
Blue Screen Again
Views: 478
Message 2 of 5

Re: Why is my WLAN card slot narrower than my WWAN card slot (PCIe mini)?

On closer inspection, it looks like my SSD connects to a similar-looking slot as my WLAN card.  I guess this means my WLAN card uses a SATA connection or something?

I normally work with desktop PCs, so I'm unfamiliar with a lot of these laptop hardware standards.

Regards,

Adam Zebrowski

-az-

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 464
Message 3 of 5

1st gen carbons use a non-standard, proprietary sized ssd that is only used on that model

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 458
Message 4 of 5

Hi

x1c' gen1 slots are:
- wwan - PCIe mini
- wlan - SFF (Small Form Factor)
- SSD - SFF

SFF isn't the same formfactor as modern m.2 one. So, the cards for these slots are incompatible. WLAN slot lanes are routed to the PCIe bus, WWAN - to USB bus and partially to PCIe bus, SSD - to SATA controller..

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

LionDrawing
Blue Screen Again
Views: 411
Message 5 of 5

Thanks so much for the clear answer.

Regards,

Adam Zebrowski

-az

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors