cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovotv
Punch Card
Views: 5,386
Message 1 of 88

Why there is still no review on X1 Extreme?

How come there is still no review, especially from professional reviewers who should have received a test unit earlier than regular customers, on the X1 Extreme? Is there anything wrong with the machine?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,340
Message 2 of 88

Re: Why there is still no review on X1 Extreme?

I have no inside information, but I can guess the answer. Reviews may be written before the units are ready to sell, using pre-release versions. Those machines may have some "beta-level" hardware or they may be missing FCC certification, but they are very much like the finished product. My guess is that there have not yet been samples in that condition. There may also be some component that is not yet available in any useful quantities.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ThinkBox
Token Ring
Views: 5,317
Message 3 of 88

i will translate the text later....i dont have the time at the moment..enjoy!

Lenovo says it will introduce a model with the Intel Core i9 CPU and 64GByte RAM in December, just in case you want more performance than a Core i7 can provide....

lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-x1-extreme_connect_web.jpglenovo-laptop-thinkpad-x1-extreme_front_web.jpg

Das 15,6 Zoll große Notebook soll sich als Workstation ebenso wie fürs Gamen eignen und ist dafür in der besten Variante mit einem Intel Core i7-8850H Prozessor mit bis zu 4,3 Gigahertz ausgestattet. Alternativ stehen hier ein i7-8750H oder ein i5-8400H bereit. Ab Dezember sollen sich auch Intel Core i9 Prozessoren konfigurieren lassen.

Die Grafikkarte ist maximal eine Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti mit 4 Gigabyte GDDR5 RAM. Der Arbeitsspeicher lässt sich mit bis zu 64 Gigabyte DDR4 2666MHZ bestücken. Beim Massenspeicher lässt Lenovo die Wahl aus einer 256 Gigabyte bis hin zu 1 Terabyte großen SSD als Systemlaufwerk sowie einer zweiten SSD mit bis zu einem Terabyte als Arbeitslaufwerk. Dazu sind standardmäßig noch zwei Terabyte HDD-Speicher integriert. Externe Monitore und Peripherie schließt man per HDMI 2.0 oder zweimal Thunderbolt 3 respektive USB-C an. Daneben stehen noch zwei USB-3.1-Steckplätze und ein Kartenleser bereit.

Für den Anschluss von Kopfhörer und Mikrofon respektive Headset gibt’s einen Audio-/Mikrofon-Kombianschluss. Beim Display lässt Lenovo die Wahl aus einer Full-HD-Variante mit IPS-Technik und 300 cd/m² Helligkeit oder einer Touchscreen-Variante mit UHD-Auflösung, 400 cd/m² Helligkeit und 10-Bit-Farbtiefe. Als Betriebssystem ist Windwos 10 Home (64 Bit) oder Windows 10 Pro (64 Bit) vorinstalliert.

Lenovo startet beim Thinkpad X1 Extreme mit einem Preis von 2119 Euro. Eine bessere Konfiguration wird für einen Preis von 2589 Euro angeboten. Konfiguriert man sich das Topmodell mit besten Komponenten kommt man aber ganz schnell an die 5000-Euro-Schwelle.

best regards....

SD_Colorado
SCSI Port
Views: 5,110
Message 4 of 88

I received mine today.  Nothing wrong with it so far, but I haven’t had the time to really get acquainted with it yet.  I am also a bit shocked that there hasn’t been any professional reviews.

Fred102
Paper Tape
Views: 4,946
Message 5 of 88

Would you be willing to review this machine for us? Few reviews will answer the kind of questions I have:

(1) How much does it throttle when you fully load the machine with a Prime stress test? And how much in a stress test with both Prime and Furmark?

(2) How hot does it get during those tests? Can you still comfortably use it on your lap?

(3) How easy is it to remove the bottom plate for upgrades? Is it just held with screws (good), or are there loads of plastic clips, making the machine difficult to open?

(4) Does the keyboard look like it's replaceable? I have the impression that it may not be, in other words that you can't take the keyboard out the top, but the chicklet keys protrude through the top housing. Can it be removed from the bottom, or is it glued in, like on some Apple models?

(5) Can you let us know what SSD model they shipped?

I appreciate that you may not want to investigate things like this, or simply don't have the time. Anyhow, let us know what spec you got. Did you get a hex-core CPU, or a quad core? 4K screen, or HD?

In case you don't know what I'm on about regarding points (1) and (2), these CPUs are 45W rated. Many thin laptops can't handle them. They tend to be limited by their cooling solution, and an i7-8750H may perform identically to an i7-8850H, for example. I'm actually wondering whether there is any use in getting a hex-core at all. These CPUs are also configurable so they will never run at 45W, but only 35W or even 25W. I am interested to learn what Lenovo have done.

The way to test that is to run a stress test. Basically programs that do a lot of math using all 6 cores (Prime), and that render some graphics (Furmark). Once you run such programs, the CPU will slow down to avoid consuming too much power and getting too hot. Such tests are routinely performed by the best review sites, such as notebookcheck, but it can take a long time before they come out with their review.

mossburg57
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,867
Message 6 of 88

i can confirm the bottom plate has safety screws(the kind that keeps you from loosing them).  There are 2x sodimm slots(64gbmax) and 2x m.2 slots(2tb max).  i have the base model i7-6 core, 16gb, 512ssd, 1080p screen.  The only thing ive noticed that i didnt expect is the touchpad(AWSOME!) performes almost like a macbok pro.  ive had 1 day with it and got 10hrs battery(heavy use).  the fingerprint reader has been flawless so far as well.  most of the usage was youtube, win 10 pro upgrade, software installations ect.  i know its a bit early but so far this is the best latop ive ever owned and that includes surface, mbp, xps, and a razer blade 14.

doomboss
SCSI Port
Views: 4,857
Message 7 of 88

Whoa 10 hours of battery life with heavy usage? Thats good to hear Smiley Very Happy 

Looking forward for more thoughts from you regarding the ThinkPad X1 Extreme. Please inform us about the thermal (and maybe fan noise when idle or when under full load) too if possible. Thank you for taking your time to let us potential X1 Extreme owners know about this laptop more Smiley Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lenovo W530, i7-3740QM, Quadro k1000m, 512GB Crucial MX100 SATA SSD, 64GB Samsung mSATA SSD, 12GB 1600MHZ RAM
Views: 4,853
Message 8 of 88

yeah i did some tweaking though.  i use the lenovo app to focus on battery life and kept the screen at roughly 55%.  so far so good.  now we just have to wait for someone to do a gaming review lol

Fred102
Paper Tape
Views: 4,824
Message 9 of 88

Sounds great. Thanks for replying. So no great problems removing the bottom plate and putting it back on? The reason I ask is that some of their other models, the standard T-series, are notorious for holding things together with lots of plastic clips, in addition to the screws, that are difficult to pry open and prone to breaking.

If you get a chance, who manufactured the SSD? I know it's probably a lottery, but it would be nice to know anyway. Got a Thinkpad E series for my parents with a Toshiba SSD. That one frankly has some issues with write caching and seems to occasionally hang the machine on boot. I'm weary, because Toshiba absorbed OCZ, who had a terrible reputation for their SSDs. I'd prefer a Samsung Pro MLC or equivalent OEM model.

I game using a Thinkpad travel keyboard with a pointing stick. This is the first ever laptop that might suit me for gaming.

mossburg57
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,815
Message 10 of 88

the bottom plate is SUPER EASY to remove.  i added a pic of the mb as well

o and another nice touch is that they give you a SINGLE 16gb sodimm chip!!!!  instead of being cheap asses with  2x 8gb lol

Top Kudoed Authors