Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ozaz
Serial Port
Views: 2,700
Message 1 of 9

Wifi keeps dropping on my X220

Hello,

I keep losing wifi on a regular basis (several times per day).

When this happens, an exclamation mark symbol appears on the wifi indicator in the taskbar.

I have not been able to identify a trigger. It happens randomly as far as I can tell.

I am sitting within 2 metres of the router. Non of my other devices experience connectivity problems. To reinstate wifi, I right click on the wifi icon in the taskbar and select troubleshoot problems. This always gets wifi working again.

A hardware scan in Lenovo solution centre does not flag up any problems.

Lenovo system update does not indicate any critical or recomended updates. There are 2 optional updates listed (Intel Rapid Storage AHCI Driver, ThinkVantage Active Protection System).

Here are some system and wifi details

X220

Windows 8.1 Pro

Wfif adapter: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205

Driver Provider: Intel; Date: 23/09/2013; Version 15.10.4.2

Router: Apple Airport Extreme

I would very much appreciate it if someone could help me identify and fix the issue.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,673
Message 2 of 9

Re: Wifi keeps dropping on my X220

Please check the Power Management tab of your WNIC in Device Manager.

If the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power setting is checked, try unchecking it.

You might also wish to doublecheck the details of the most recently released wireless driver:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-77280

which list a December 2013 release date.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
X1C3 X1T3 X1T2 Helix1 X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p TPStack Yoga910 Yoga900S
TPYoga12 T520 T420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Yoga900 Yoga3Pro Yoga2Pro Yoga13

I am not a Lenovo employee

ozaz
Serial Port
Views: 2,656
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for helping.

With regard to the driver version, the package contains multiple version numbers but as far as I can tell, I am up to date. I have package version 16.6.0 installed (Intel ProSet/Wireless Software) & driver 15.10.4.2 (which seems appropriate for my card/OS combination according to this document: http://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/grw208ww.txt

Perhaps the december date is Lenovo's release date for the package, rather than the release date of the drivers in contains. Does that seem right?

I came across a thread on microsoft community (pertaining to this wireless card in various diffferent laptops) where users proposed several solutions (including the one you suggested).

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/wireless-connection-drops/eb6d...

I am currently working my way through these suggestions:

1. Disable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the Wifi power management settings.

This did not solve the problem for me.

2. Swtich wireless mode from a/b/g to b/g in Wifi advanced properties.

This did not solve the problem for me.

3. Switch 802.n Mode to disabled in Wifi advanced properties

Currently evaluating this. If it works, it won't be a very satisfactory solution.

4. Remove Intel driver and install Windows 8 built-in driver.
Not yet tried.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,633
Message 4 of 9

Hello,

Just to verify that it is not a problem with the router, have you verified that the router has the latest version of its firmware installed?  Also, have you tried connecting to a different router?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
ozaz
Serial Port
Views: 2,625
Message 5 of 9

Hi,

It's been a while since I used this laptop for an extended period whilst connected to a different router, so I can't be sure if an interaction with my home router is involved. However, my home router does have its latest firmware installed and other wireless devices in the home don't seem to experience dropped connections.

I have now been using my x220 for 2 days with 802.11n mode disabled. I have not experienced a single drop-out. Usually I would get 5 or more per day. Obviously this is a workaround rather than a solution as I have to put up with slower wifi speeds.

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,617
Message 6 of 9

In Windows 7 I set Windows power manager profile settings:

Wireless Adapter Settings

+ Power Saving Mode

+ On Battery: Maximum Performance

+ Plugged in: Maximum Performance

Serial Port
Views: 2,609
Message 7 of 9

Thanks. But I already have plugged in set to maximum performance, and I still experience the issue when I am plugged in.

hoverman
What's DOS?
Views: 2,530
Message 8 of 9

I am a network consultant in the RTP area and we are experiencing this issue with ALL of our clients using Intel Wireless NICS on the X220. It happens in Win 8 and Win 7. Big pain in the butt. Waiting for Intel to get a new driver out as all this happened when new Intel Drivers were release via windows update. There is no fix for it other than to disable and re-enable the adapter.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,524
Message 9 of 9

@hoverman...

Good afternoon and welcome to the community.

What version did Windows Update install to your systems? How does that compare to the version available via the X220 driver matrix: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-77280 ?

For reference, my Win7Pro64 X220 equipped with the Intel 6205 and running the v15.9.0.5 Lenovo-provided driver has been giving me rock-solid wireless network stability.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
X1C3 X1T3 X1T2 Helix1 X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p TPStack Yoga910 Yoga900S
TPYoga12 T520 T420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Yoga900 Yoga3Pro Yoga2Pro Yoga13

I am not a Lenovo employee

Top Kudoed Authors