cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mircolino
SCSI Port
Views: 517
Message 1 of 9

Windows 10 Update downloaded X1E firmware 1.21, which I already manually installed last week ?!?

Windows 10 now wants to restart the laptop to finish the installation. So I restart the system. At the BIOS startup screen the system displays a red horizontal bar (under the red "Lenovo" logo) , makes a few loud beeps (presumably because firmware 1.21 is already installed) and then proceeds to start Windows which in turn wants me to restart again to complete the firmware installation.

How do I get out of this ridiculous loop?

firmware.png

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 477
Message 2 of 9

Re:

Hi mircolino, Thanks for writing in. We recommend to not restart the computer when it prompts you to. We recommend reinstalling the Firmware update. Please download the firmware update again from the support website:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-....

Let us know if this works out. Thanks.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

mircolino
SCSI Port
Views: 468
Message 3 of 9

Re: Re:

Tried your suggestion but it refuses to install it because it says it's already installed.

As a temp workaround I found that if in the Windows 10 Device Manager I uninstall & delete the "ThinkPad P1/X1 Extreme System Firmware 1.21" it reverts back to the usual "System Formware" and I can reboot the system normally. Al least until I run the Windows 10 Update again, in which case it all start over again.

Why is this happening all of a suddent? I didn't change anything in my system config.

bios.png

mmleif
What's DOS?
Views: 339
Message 4 of 9

This is happening exactly the same to me.

Have you found any solution yet?

I noticed Lenovo released 1.22 BIOS update the other day but couldn't download as the link was broken, then this update disappeared very soon.

I guess they have been encountering some issues.

Maybe it is related to X1E 2 release.

mircolino
SCSI Port
Views: 331
Message 5 of 9

I installed BIOS 1.22 and the problem went away. But then it was pulled (thank God I didn't have a BIOS password!!!) so I'm not sure what to say. Hopefully 1.23 will be out soon.

BrokenThinkpad
Punch Card
Views: 313
Message 6 of 9

@mmleif wrote:

This is happening exactly the same to me.

Have you found any solution yet?

I noticed Lenovo released 1.22 BIOS update the other day but couldn't download as the link was broken, then this update disappeared very soon.

I guess they have been encountering some issues.

Maybe it is related to X1E 2 release.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-EXTREME-G1-BIOS-UPDATE-1-22-SUPERVISOR-PAS...

Guru
Views: 304
Message 7 of 9

Re: Windows 10 Update downloaded X1E firmware 1.21, which I already manually installed last week ?!?

Right-click on the erroneous FW and uninstall it and specify to delete the driver. Restart the system. The Microsoft FW will then be reinstalled which is correct. I reported this into tech support some weeks ago with no resolution as to why the Lenovo FW was being presented by Windows Update.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.30, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.23,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
mmleif
What's DOS?
Views: 278
Message 8 of 9

Wow! That's why they pulled the 1.22!
mmleif
What's DOS?
Views: 278
Message 9 of 9

Re: Windows 10 Update downloaded X1E firmware 1.21, which I already manually installed last week ?!?

Thanks a lot for the info.
Just because I saw some drama from other ThinkPad users regarding the BIOS or firmware update, so wanted to make sure what's the right operation.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors