06-25-2015

SE

4 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 1 of 2

Windows 10 killed my laptop

2020-02-15, 13:38 PM

It might sound like clickbait, but this is actually what appears to have happened. I got a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 3 gen with Windows 7. Today I wanted to upgrade it to Windows 10 with Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. The laptop has been working well, except a few blue screens over the 2-3 years I've used it. It would be a shame to throw it out already.

I started the installation, picked the option to remove everything, and waited. A few minutes into the installation, I noticed that the computer shut down instead of restarting as it should. I turned it on again and the installation appeared to proceed. But shortly after that, it restarted in Windows 7 again, and showed this message:

We couldn't install Windows 10
0xC1900101 - 0x2000C
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation.

I read up on this error and realized that it might be that my HDD is too full. I removed my old virtual machine (100 GB) and started over. Again, the laptop shut down a few minutes into the installation. And now it's not starting at all! I have tried all kinds of short and long variations with the Power button, Reset button and charger, but it's completely dead. No screen, no sound, no lights.

This seems to be one of those instances where software has caused hardware to fail. What more can I do?

Solved! See the solution
Options

3 Posts

06-25-2015

SE

4 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Windows 10 killed my laptop

2020-02-15, 14:12 PM

Sorry all. I forgot to check if the charger was actually connected! (facepalm) The battery had just run out of power. Now Windows is well on its way to be installed. :-)

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save