08-12-2015

utah

45 Signins

226 Page Views

• Views: 226
  • Message 1 of 4

Windows 10 overheats X220

2016-02-24, 18:36 PM

So basically i'm trying to figure out why the same game in windows store, will overclock and overheat the CPU on the X220 with Windows 10, at +3.07 ghz .... but on the T520 with Windows 8, the same game runs at -1.95 ghz. 

the t520 has an i5-2520m and the x220 has i5-2540m .... so if anything, it should run LESS hard on the x220.  but instead it overheats it ........ and appears that something in the Windows 10 build allows programs to overclock the CPU more. 

i've tried installing older versions of direct x.... thinking maybe it's a 3d problem.  i've used the windows power manager to limit CPU to 75% .... which then still overheats the CPU but keeps the clock at a constant 2.36 ghz.

which is still having it work harder than the very same game from the windows store on the Windows 8 set up.

it is something with Windows 10 specifically that allows overheating of the CPU.  btw there is absolutely no difference in the game speed itself.  it runs cool on 8, runs hot on 10. 

and the windows 10 system on the X220 feels unstable because of this.  it will run completely cool for a flash video, but then jack up the heat running a local mp4 file.

the only answer i have is to abandon Windows 10 and tell everyone i know to do the same.  to NOT upgrade if it can be avoided.  because there is no sense in upgrading software to extend the lifetime of a machine, if the software itself DECREASES the lifetime of the hardware.

if there is a driver or specific help for this, maybe lenovo knows?  i have tried installing the chipset through intel update, and it shows a "failed" ... installing chipset driver from Lenovo does nothing, as in it says "finished" before it shows to be installing anything. 

mostly would like to know if any others have experienced excessive overclocking with Windows 10 on the X220 -- and if so did they find any solution to that?

there is NO setting in the bios to turn off intel turbo boost, the bios is fully updated.  from what i have read, turning OFF intel turbo boost can only happen through the Lenovo thinkvantage power manager UI ... and of course Windows 10 installs the power manager WITHOUT the PM UI. 

i might try reinstalling Windows 7 and add all the thinkvantage bells and whistles before upgrading to 10, but seems to me i've done that once before and 10 just wipes out all the Lenovo programming.  i think it comes down to sloppy driver support by intel.....

and that keys into a marketing ploy to pursuade users to upgrade their hardware.  but maybe Lenovo can get on board with those of us who LIKE the older builds and would prefer to see them go the distance.  we need a power manager for Windows 10 that gives option to turn off intel turbo boost.  PLEASE.  because 10 has no control and leaves the machine at the mercy of every single app.

E.

Solved! See the solution
Options

880 Posts

04-07-2014

Sverige

762 Signins

8691 Page Views

• Views: 8691
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Windows 10 overheats X220

2016-02-24, 19:20 PM

well windows 10 has issues with diffirent old laptops thats why you shall follow recommendations by manufacture not what microsofts says, their tool only regonizes if you got required os to upgrade so thats not proper thing :/ check X220 drivers section if that section do not have windows 10 listed then it's mostlikely that x220 wont support windows 10 so installing or upgrading to it will be "Do it at your own risk" since any issues that comes will not be supported by Lenovo since they do not support windows 10 on models that don't have windows 10 listed in their drivers area.

One good thing lenovo should do is create a list with all tested laptops and confirmed that lenovo offers windows 10 support for them.

Acer did this to their laptops they created a huge list of all models that supports & is tested by manufacture to gurantee it will support windows 10 :)

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

27 Posts

08-12-2015

utah

45 Signins

226 Page Views

• Views: 226
  • Message 3 of 4

2016-02-24, 21:36 PM

oh it's supported and has Windows 10 drivers listed .... what i did was download every single driver for windows 10 they had.  and i just started installing them one after the other.  there was one for POWER SETTINGS, and as that installed you could HEAR the laptop relax and fan quiet down. 

and i just now tried the game that would make it run so hot and it runs fine after the driver install for power settings.

thing is that Windows 10 is supposed to auto-install the drivers it needs, and has access to the drivers from lenovo.  but apparently there are some drivers that 10 doesn't bother to install.

i marked yours as the answer, since it was more or less a matter of getting more drivers from the Lenovo website.

Options

367 Posts

05-28-2017

CA

482 Signins

3168 Page Views

• Views: 3168
  • Message 4 of 4

2017-11-16, 22:23 PM

lots of laptop rig need OEM drivers do not invariably find their way to Windows update

this includes my x220 running windows 10

I own: T400 T500 X220 X230 all running Windows 10 Professional
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete