Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boredbuddha
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,852
Message 1 of 5

Windows 8 Pro OEM reinstall - No recovery partition / disk

I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon which I installed the Windows 10 Technical Preview on. In doing so I formatted the entire hard drive so that I don't have the recovery partition as well.

I now want to reinstall the Win 8 Pro OEM which it came with. However I do not have any recovery media / partition. The product key is also not on the device, although I understand it is embedded in the BIOS.

Can anyone please advise? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,815
Message 2 of 5

Re: Windows 8 Pro OEM reinstall - No recovery partition / disk

Good day and welcome to the community.

To return to the factory-delivered state, you'll need to contact Support (info below) and request recovery media. There may be an associated cost.

Regards.

United Kingdom
THINK-branded products
English
03705-500-900 ( local rate)
(Standard warranty support)
9:00 - 18:00 Monday - Friday

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
X1C3 X1T3 X1T2 Helix1 X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p TPStack Yoga910 Yoga900S
TPYoga12 T520 T420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Yoga900 Yoga3Pro Yoga2Pro Yoga13

I am not a Lenovo employee

paulnevin30
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,529
Message 3 of 5

the recovery partition can be removed from Windows 8 by opening Disk Management. This can be done by typing Disk Man on the Start screen, or opening File Explorer, right-clicking This PC and selecting Manage, then expanding Storage.
Attempting to Refresh or Reset Windows 8 With No Recovery Partition:
The procedure is to open the Charms menu, select Settings > Change PC Settings, tap Update and Recovery, and then select Refresh your PC without affecting your files or Remove everything and reinstall Windows.
Create a New Recovery Partition in Windows 8:
Extract the winreducerwimconverter.zip file and run it, updating as requested. You’ll then be able to use the Open button to browse for the install.esd file, and use the Convert button in the top left corner to begin. When all is converted, you should now have a file called install.wim, which you should copy to a new folder on your C:\ drive, labelled C:\Win81-Recovery. The next stage is to register the file so that Windows knows it is there and can create a recovery drive.

On the desktop, right-click the Windows Start screen button and select Command Prompt (Admin). In the command line, enter:

REAGENTC /SetOSImage /Path C:\Win81-Recovery\INSTALL.WIM /Index 1
This will register the INSTALL.WIM file as your PC’s recovery image.

To confirm this has worked, enter:

REAGENTC /Info
muo-windows8-deleted-recovery-create
Recovery Back in Place: You’re Ready to Reset!:
As described, you’ll need to head to Settings > Change PC Settings, tap Update and Recovery, and make a decision between the two options. Note that if you take the Remove everything… option, Windows will then ask you to confirm which drives you want to be wiped. Windows 8 has a secure wipe feature here, which should remove anything sensitive or embarrassing from your computer’s hard disk drive.

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,518
Message 4 of 5

Paulnevin i think you read op post wrong he installed Windows 10 tech preview and now his recovery partition is gone so what he wants is to be able to restore back to Windows 8.1 but he has not got any recovery media, best is to try Google up Lenovo recover media page and order a disc or USB with windows 8.1 recovery on it.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,457
Message 5 of 5
Moved:

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors