Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Passa
Paper Tape
Views: 1,192
Message 1 of 4

Windows 8 UltraNav drivers

They don't support using the middle trackpoint button as middle mouse any more. Why? I addressed the pathetic Windows 7 drivers that didn't let you have both middle mouse and scrolling by using an autohotkey script that scrolls when the middle mouse is pressed.

But now I can't use the workaround because Lenovo have inexplicably removed functionality that exists in the plain OEM drivers from Synaptics! What the hell? Is this a permanent change? This has severely distrupted my workflow in Windows 8 (after upgrading).

I mean I can understand the delay in getting Lenovo tools on the Windows Store. Or at least, I can tolerate it for now. But this is just stupid. Put the middle mouse configuration options back in the drivers. Jesus.

Does anyone have a workaround for this? That doesn't involve OEM Synaptics drivers? I find those have different default sensitivity and I can't get them to feel the same as everything was on Windows 7.

ceb
WWAN
Views: 1,163
Message 2 of 4

Re: Windows 8 UltraNav drivers

I know that this isn't the answer you wanted but I downloaded the latest (just released) synaptics OE drivers and they work great.

Passa
Paper Tape
Views: 1,124
Message 3 of 4

For those who find this thread with Google, also looking for a solution to Lenovo's **bleep**ery (yo, spend less time making **bleep**ty MTK6577 clone phones and more time maintaining your ThinkPad line), I did find a semi-solution. It isn't pretty though.

Install the latest UltraNav drivers from Lenovo (NOT any blank OEM ones from Synaptics) and then download and install a program called TPMiddle:

http://users.v-lo.krakow.pl/~mwrobel/programs/tpmiddle.html

Stick it in your startup folder, and it'll convert a middle 'scroll' button press into an actual third mouse button click, so long as your pointer isn't moving too much. It isn't perfect, and is a bit overly sensitive to tiny movements (so you might have to tap it a second time to get the third mouse click to register), but it does work, and is a liveable solution.

Not the sort of thing we should have to be screwing around to do though. All this functionality comes by default in Linux (as in, scroll with TrackPoint AND middle mouse!), no reason why it isn't present on Windows.

Davidtt
Paper Tape
Views: 983
Message 4 of 4

@ceb wrote:

I know that this isn't the answer you wanted but I downloaded the latest (just released) synaptics OE drivers and they work great.

Works indeed. I also dig the different configuration menus.

However, with the original Synaptics drivers the UltraNav midlde mouse works for me only if I use the administrator account (account belonging to the administrator group, not the actual Windows Administrator).

In my standard user account I sometimes get the error message that no connection could be established to the UltraNav and middle mouse clicks with the UltraNav buttons are NOT recognized. (mousepad still works fine)

Please, Lenovo, put the middle mouse option back in in the next driver release!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors