Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Philo
Serial Port
Views: 410
Message 1 of 6

Windows Hello Freezes Computer and Crashes on X1 Extreme

After a few days of being on and resuming a session by opening the lid, Windows Hello seems to crash my system.

I open the lid, get logged in, at which point the IR camera remains active, telling me something's wrong. The Taksbar no longer responds properly, either, and the internet no longer functions. I then ctrl+alt+delete and reboot, which takes a lot longer than normal.

Here's the log for the most recent event:

Faulting application name: svchost.exe_WbioSrvc, version: 10.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0xb900eeff
Faulting module name: wbiosrvc.dll, version: 10.0.17763.348, time stamp: 0x3ff8f909
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0000000000020e5d
Faulting process id: 0x1038
Faulting application start time: 0x01d51e4261864aac
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: c:\windows\system32\wbiosrvc.dll
Report Id: 2866497f-caf3-4607-9a19-b1a0bcc40fce
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any help would be apprecitated.

Guru
Views: 387
Message 2 of 6

Re: Windows Hello Freezes Computer and Crashes on X1 Extreme

Was this a one time thing - as in did this issue disappear after a restart? If so then I wouldn't worry about it.

Otherwise, does it do this when you first use Windows Hello after a restart, or after waking up from sleep mode?

If this happens every time, right click the battery icon in the taskbar, go to power options, and on the left side click on choose what the power buttons do. Uptop that page, click on change settings that are currently unavailable, then uncheck "Turn on fast startup".

Let me know what happens.
Philo
Serial Port
Views: 376
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply!

It wasn't a one-time thing. It happens pretty regularly, after about 5-7 days of the computer being on.

I've followed your directions and unchecked "turn on fast startup". Too early to say whether it worked, but I'll check in in about a week to post and update regardless.

Thanks for the reply and help!
Guru
Views: 304
Message 4 of 6

I see, by keeping it on you mean you close the lid and put it in sleep mode right? So when you open the lid you're on the lock screen and Windows Hello tries to log in you I assume?

Doing this method a long time can bring issues simply because of how things work. When your computer goes to sleep, its saving an image of the state of the computer onto the RAM and goes into a low power state, where nothing shuts off but nothing is really running either. Going back and forth through that can eventually lead to something going wrong.

It's pretty recommended to let your computer shut off every now and then.

My "fix" might still work, but hopefully you've rebooted after unchecking it.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.
Philo
Serial Port
Views: 224
Message 5 of 6

Brief update: unchecking "turn on fast startup" seems to have worked!

I had only one minor glitch since I did so -- the IR camera did remain on for a while when I opened the lid and logged in with facial recognition, and windows taksbar did crash, but then it restarted itself. Normally, I'd have to ctrl+alt+delete and reboot.

Besides that one minor issue, it seems to have worked. Thanks, LelouchV!
Guru
Views: 220
Message 6 of 6

Glad the issue is solved!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors