Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

53 Posts

10-17-2015

United States of America

79 Signins

614 Page Views

• Views: 614
  • Message 1 of 2

Windows update KB2459268 from Lenovo Software update broke my X230 on RDP/ sleep I think

2016-01-28, 20:35 PM

Backstory: I finally got around to performing some updates on my X230 that I usually keep on internal LAN running machines.  It has Win 7 Pro SP1 installed and I checked the update for KB2459268 through Lenovo's recommended software update at the time and thought nothing of it when everything installed and updated properly.  Restarting my machine and RDP to a host and everything worked as normal.  Then putting the X230 to sleep and.... the screen went off like normal, the power button did the usual beating light like normal, but the computer did not sleep!  It kept running and worst yet, did not respond whatsoever to ANY keyboard input, ctrl alt del, esc, power button, nothing!!!  I finally had to force shutdown and figured, probably a glitch.  Did the same process again and yep, it seemed to sleep.  Woke it up, tried it again, and sure enough, same issue (no sleep and no response).

I kept getting the same issue for the next week so finally I did a clean install with Win 7 SP1 on a wiped drive, ran the lenovo software update with the KB checked, and tried it again.  SAME ISSUE!!!!  Now I was sure it wasnt a driver issue, and probably not hardware (I guess it could be).  So I uninstalled the KB from programs and features yesterday and the 4x times I used it, no issue.  Leads me to think there is something going on with the KB.

How to replicate:

Install KB.  Log into an RDP server using the X230.  Issue sleep command via FN+F4 or close lid (I always use FN+F4 as I set my closed lid to do nothing).  Watch computer appear to sleep (power button flashes like its sleeping and display is off), but computer remains on.

Options

2032 Posts

11-28-2007

Czech Republic

12108 Signins

124962 Page Views

• Views: 124962
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Windows update KB2459268 from Lenovo Software update broke my X230 on RDP/ sleep I think

2016-01-29, 12:23 PM

The KB2459268 is Microsoft hotfix (not a regular important update)

A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing the problem described in this article. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.

Uninstall it. It is 5 years old so it might be already resolved by a regular update. Do not install everything Lenovo offers, select individual updates only.

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)