Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GRET
Paper Tape
Views: 343
Message 1 of 8

Windows updates and X230i

Has any X230i owner successfully stayed current with recent Windows updates?  Microsoft has been unsuccessfully forcing unsuccessful update processes on our X230i, model 2306 for 3 months.  Unit has 4GB RAM.

Moderator edit: Added subject detail

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 292
Message 2 of 8

Re: RAM and X230i

Are you talking about windows update and windows 7?  There are many problems and Microsoft has not done much to fix.

Try a service stack update:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3177467/servicing-stack-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-window...

Then this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53335

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Highlighted
GRET
Paper Tape
Views: 199
Message 3 of 8

X230 and Win10

My 230X ran Win 10 successfully from Jan 2016 until October 2016 (Build 10586.633).  Since last fall, Windows Update wastes about 1/2 hr every time the unit is booted to try to update to 1511. At this end of this process, the progress screen goes directly from 99% done (downloading, configuring, installing) to "can't finish ... now undoing the changes."  Sometimes an second reboot is needed to log on; sometimes not.  Same thing happens regardless of whether external monitor and/or mouse and/or keyboard are used and regardless of whether the unit is in its docking station.  Same thing happens whether or not I've deleted files in the "software download" folder or run clean-up utilities.  Using the PC is also interrupted by reminders that there are updates to install. Sometimes Windows Update will wait for the restart time I've selected; sometimes not.  Unit has 4 GB RAM, Norton 360 and a GoFlex back up drive.

This model is NOT on the list tested for Win 10 1511 or Win 10 1607.  I don't know why, and a TA call to Lenovo gave no help.  I declined the offer of a paid TA session to solve this by reinstalling Win 8.

Has any one had this problem? Is there a kill-switch for the automatic Win 10 updates? Other suggestions?  Tx!

GRET
Paper Tape
Views: 182
Message 4 of 8

No - Windows 10 update to version 1511 is the problem. Just posted again on this. Thanks.
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 171
Message 5 of 8

My X230 is updated all the way to today (version 1703), and hasn't been a problem. Something is obviously causing the Win 10 updater to be upset. Try these steps: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors.

Tell us how it goes!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
GRET
Paper Tape
Views: 132
Message 6 of 8

Bananaman - Thanks for the reply and suggestion but no luck. I followed the options in the link you sent in the order listed:

1. tried the update by directly downloading the KB files from Windows - same result;

2. used the command prompt process for DISM assuming Windows Update client not corrupted - scannow ID'ed and fixed files (recorded in CBS.log) but Windows Update afterwards had same result;

3. used the command prompt process for DISM assuming Windows Update is corrupted - scannow reports that "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations" but Windows Update process afterwards had same result.

However, after step 3, the Windows Update Service reports that my "device is up to date" AND the Update History reports the 3 failed installs of the 1511 Cumulative Update (?!). I have seen this contradictory info before since this problem emerged.  This pretty much ate the day. 

I'm curious: do you use your X230i with external devices? (My wife is attached to an oldish external monitor, trackball, and ergonomic keyboard: I thought "plug and play" solved this years ago but maybe driver issues are what blow things up at the end of the upgrade process.)

Also, do you use all or some of the Lenovo utilities and add-ons? (Wondering if one of them could be the culprit - back to my wondering why Lenovo hasn't vetted this model for Win10 1511 and later builds.)

Thanks again for any thoughts.    

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 124
Message 7 of 8

Hi GRET,

Sorry that didn't work Smiley Sad. I've had stuck Windows 10 updates which one of those steps has cured.  My X230 doesn't have anything permanently attached (it gets used in various projects around my garage). Have you removed all devices (including SD) and then tried the updates?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
GRET
Paper Tape
Views: 108
Message 8 of 8

Yes - I've tried this with all external devices removed (no trackball, no monitor, no external backup HD, and no keyboard, and with unit out of docking station).  Always the same unhappy result... I now think I have been stupid in keeping at this hoping that MS and / or Lenovo would improve their tools for updating and communicating. 

I am still curious about whether your 230i has been running all the Lenovo software since your Win10 upgrades have worked.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors