tucson az

28 Signins

264 Page Views

• Views: 264
  • Message 1 of 9

Wireless Connection Drop Problem - X61 with XP and Intel 4965AGN

2008-07-10, 18:54 PM

X61 7675-CTO

Config: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN, Windows XP Pro SP2/3

I had previously piggybacked this problem on a post dealing with the same problem with Vista. I decided to post for XP and make one clear post of problems and solutions attempted.

Upon receipt of machine, June 25, 2008. wireless would not connect on startup as it did not get a valid IP address. This required using the wireless interface to disconnect and reconnect. Using "repair" would not always result in a connection. Subsequently connection would drop frequently. Sometimes could be reconnected, sometimes would need to be restarted.

Called Lenovo 6/26/2008. Found and installed all updates related to wireless including hot key support (dependency for ThinkVantage), Access Connections, and Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965agn driver. Problems continued.

Disabled Access Connections. Machine would then connect on startup but drops continued. Machine is unable to reconnect itself after drop.

Removed Access Connections. Drops continued.

Installed "Network Magic" which enabled file/printer sharing which was not working previously but had no effect on connection drops.

Note that during this time and to present, 1) a Toshiba laptop on the same network maintained wireless connections with no problems, 2) an identical X61 with identical CTO configuration experiences same problems on a completely different network 12 miles away.

Progression of problem in each drop incident:

Machine will drop connection. Connection tray icon still shows connected but will eventually after a few minutes display nothing for the wireless icon..

Sometimes can right-click wireless icon in connection tray and see wireless interface (View Available Wireless Networks), disconnect and reconnect.

More commonly the connection tray is locked up and not responding, and the wireless interface program is also locked up and not responding. Waiting does not resolve regardless of time allowed. Eventually monitor will turn off and machine will become unresponsive.

Restart required, and after removal of all unique software managing the wireless card, the card will reconnect on startup. On restart, XP always reports that Connection Tray program does not respond and cannot be stopped.

The problem was present under XP SP2 and remains with XP SP3 which only installed on the machine in the last few days. Lenovo believes the problem is related to XP SP3, however here are 2 X61s which show this is not the case as well as problems documented in the forum under Vista as well. At this time, the problem on this machine is isolated to the card and its driver as other software is not interfering or managing the wireless interface.

To attempt to eliminate problem, as it is now way beyond annoying, I decided to try installing a wireless PCMCIA card which I had on July 9, 2008. I disabled the onboard wireless card by turning off the wireless switch and also disabling it in wireless connections. Since installing the PCMCIA card, the machine has experienced no drops and no problems in connecting.

I called Lenovo Support on July 10, 2008, and discussed the problems. They are sending a box for warranty return. I am traveling so will be unable to send the machine until after July 23. By then I will have enough experience to determine whether the PCMCIA card is stable in contrast to the Intel card which is not.

Message Edited by robertsbowers on 07-10-2008 11:59 AM
Message Edited by robertsbowers on 07-10-2008 12:04 PM
Options

2 Posts

08-27-2008

Hong Kong

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Wireless Connection Drop Problem - X61 with XP and Intel 4965AGN

2008-08-27, 22:56 PM

I have the same issue here. I have tried every means posted on the web, removing the Access Connection, maximized the power, the same problem still exists.

I think I need to go buy another wireless LAN card but wonder why Lenovo doesn't know how to fix the problem?

Options

38 Posts

08-28-2008

US

122 Signins

966 Page Views

• Views: 966
  • Message 3 of 9

2008-08-28, 22:35 PM
This could be a hardware failure so sending the box could eliminitae that option. But you should also try to install only the drivers from intel and using windows to controll the wireless connection. have you tried that?
Options

3 Posts

08-13-2008

Los Angeles

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 4 of 9

2008-09-11, 9:27 AM
Had a similar problem with X61s 7668 CTO running XP SP3. The wireless connection would automatically disconnect. Uninstalling SP3, Thinkvantage Access Connections re-installing them, using updated Intel Wireless Connection software did not solve the problem. Even tried to mess around with Wireless Zero Config and Service in Admin Tools to no avail. Circumvented it temporarily by using a USB based wireless adapter. Finally solved it by un-installing a third party software that came with a wireless connection kit from a telecom company I used to be subsribed to (e.g. AT&T, Verizon and the like... in this case N9UF telecom in France). Hope that helps.
Options

2 Posts

08-27-2008

Hong Kong

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 5 of 9

2008-09-11, 11:22 AM
I did try to do all of the above except I don't have a third party software that came with the kit from my ISP. I think this is a hardware issue. I need to use an external wireless card temporary.
Options

1 Posts

10-21-2008

Switzerland

3 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 6 of 9

2008-10-21, 17:43 PM

I have exactly the same problem with my brand new T500 with XP SP3, Intel Wifi Link 5300.

I found a Verizon WLAN Broadband driver installed, which I removed now. I will report if this is successful or not.

Options

3 Posts

11-18-2008

ny

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 7 of 9

2008-11-18, 13:13 PM

similar problem: X61 with Vista 64 bit. I have rebuilt the whole machine, replaced the wireless card, replaced the whole system board(!), reinstalled the whole OS including all the many many downloads and updates from Lenovo (and Microsoft), and I'm STILL getting problems...agh!

At the moment it will sometimes just not connect to a wireless network that it was happy with on the previous day, sometimes if I reboot thee machine it connects with no problem. usually it can "see" and "connect" to the wireless network, but it fails to recieve an IP address from the DHCP service. I know it's not this machine as I have another X61 (albeit running the 32 bit edition of Vista), and that has no problems at all.

I used to beleive Thinkpads and lenovo were excellent, now I'm looking at an HP instead.

If anyone from Lenovo is listening, I recommend the purchase of 100s of laptops each year, so you might like to take note!

Nick

Options

7 Posts

12-03-2008

Chicago Area

24 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 8 of 9

2008-12-05, 18:09 PM

ThinkPad Intel WiFi 5300 Wireless Connection Drop Problem and Solution!!!

I have read about Intel WiFi Link 5300 wireless connection drop problems on many different forums, including ThinkPads and many on other computer systems.  In the end, I was able to solve this problem using a simple approach documented below in the SOLUTION DESCRIPTION section.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:

- Wireless connectivity works but drops connection after a few minutes, sometimes as quickly as just a few minutes, other times taking as long as 30+ minutes. 

- The ability to replicate the problem is consistent, in that it always stops working in a relatively short period of time.  However, it is impossible to predict how long before the connection drops, although it usually happens in less than 30 minutes, sometimes even quicker.

I received a W700 2 weeks ago, loaded with Windows XP Professional and the Intel WiFi Link 5300, etc.

This connection drop problem happened to me while running Win XP SP2 as well as SP3. 

Note: I've heard that SP3 vs. SP2 matters and I've read some forum entries that indicate rolling back to SP2 fixes the problem.  However, I've seen other evidence/posts that indicate it doesn't make a difference.  Regardless, I am running Win XP Professional SP3.

I tried updating to the latest Intel 5300 driver (12.1.2.1) alone and the problem did not go away. 

I also tried updating multiple drivers via the Lenovo site. 

The latest Intel WiFi Link 5300/5100 drivers available on the Intel website are newer than those found on the Lenovo support and download site.

In the end, a posting on several forums by jposner led me down the right path, which was to update my ThinkPad with three things: (1) Intel WiFi Link 5300 driver (2) Intel WiFi Link PROSet software  (3) Latest ThinkVantage Access Connections

The specifics of these three parts of the solution are described below in the "SOLUTION DESCRIPTION" section.

SOLUTION DESCRIPTION:

1) Update Intel® PRO/Wireless and WiFi Link 5300/5100 Drivers-Only (12.1.2.1)

AND

2) Update Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility (12.1.2.0)

using one of the following links:

http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/5300_5100/index.htm
(Multiple downloads for different Operating Systems)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=3062&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!
(XP Specific)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=3062&OSFullName=Windows
(XP 32/64 & Vista 32/64)

3) Update ThinkVantage Access Connections V5.0.2

Use Lenovo Downloads and Drivers for your model ThinkPad, via the following link:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do

The combination of ALL three of these has fixed my wireless connection drop problem, which would happen anywhere from 3 minutes to 30+ minutes after an initial wireless connection.  I have run for days now without a wireless connection drop, across 802.11a/b/g connections.

POTENTIALLY IMPORTANT ADDITIONAL DETAILS:

I also found it useful to configure the Intel WiFi 5300 Wireless Driver with the following details:

(This is based on reading many other posts across many internet Wireless 5300 & ThinkPad forums)

o Power Management "Highest" and Roaming Aggressiveness "Lowest"

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools >  Computer Management > Device Manager >  Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN Properties > Advanced Tab

o Power Management "Highest"

o Roaming Aggressiveness "Lowest"

o Power Saver mode off (don't let Thinkpad/Windows Power Management turn wireless off to save power)

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools >  Computer Management > Device Manager >  Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN Properties > Power Management Tab

o Un-Check "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

o ThinkVantage Access Connections > Manage > Edit Profile for your connection > "Wireless Settings" Tab

o 5. Advanced Configuration "Settings" button > "Power save mode:" >  "Low (best network performance)"

Please feel free to comment here or email me with questions.  

P.S. I am extremely happy and impressed with my ThinkPad W700 > It is FAAAAST, awesome display, great drive bays, and much much more...
         This W700 system totally ROCKS!!! (especially now that my WiFi is rock solid:-)

Message Edited by wrhahn on 12-07-2008 01:28 PM
Options

3 Posts

11-18-2008

ny

6 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 9 of 9

2008-12-06, 16:29 PM
Good luck with sendind it back! see my post below. I virtually completely rebuilt the whole X61 including new system board and I'm on my 3rd wireless card and the only way to have a chance at the wireless working is to boot in safe mode + networking. I'm going to follow your idea and buy a PC wireless card - pathetic isn't it??!! Nick
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save