Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please noteour guidelines.How to register and login andCommunity FAQs.

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

visit the blogCheck out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Wireless keeps dropping on X61

I have an X61 running on XP Pro and using Intel 3945ABG.  I've had this laptop for a year and it's worked wonderfully up until a week or two ago.  My wireless connection frequently disconnects and then reconnects and then at times, it completely disconnects from my wireless network.  I never know when it's going to disconnect either as it happens randomly and all throughout the day.  I thought it was a router issue at first but I took out my old laptop (Dell Inspiron 1150) and placed it next to my X61.  Although I noticed a slight drop in speed, the wireless never disconnected once while the X61's disconnected at least twice in 30 minutes.

I searched through old posts and updated the wireless driver as suggested by downloading the driver from Intel.  I don't use Access Connections to manage my wireless.

Is there anything else I can try?  It's really a hassle having the internet cut out while I'm trying to talk to friends on instant messenger or I'm trying to do work. 

-Anna

Ctrl-Alt-Del
0 Kudos

Re: Wireless keeps dropping on X61

Hi Anna,

try to use "ThinkVantage Access Connections" for your wireless network (at least for diagnosis purposes):

With this program, it's easy to check and log your connection...

Start -> ThinkVantage -> Access Connections -> Tools -> Diagnosis... ->

1. Connection status -> Test connection...
  2. Event log -> Activate log (-> Show log)

After a disconnection has occured, check the log for problems... and eventually post it here.

Smiley Wink

If you really don't want to use Access Connections, check the system's logs for problems:

Start->Run->"eventvwr.msc"->[OK]

Look at the log files especially for applications and system: yellow exclamation marks and red crosses could point to problems ... just double click on one entry to check for details!

Smiley Happy

Greetings, Christian

802.11n
0 Kudos

This is the newest driver from Lenovo (or intel?) [2009/01/05] you may like to give it a try.

When things occur randomly, it's just so hard to say what causes and how to solve it. Looking at log file like Christian might give you a clue to solve this.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I had the exact same problem on my X60s.  It would work fine for a little, then just drop the signal, then sometimes pick it up agian, then drop it again. I finally fixed it by opening ThinkVantage Access Connections (Fn + F5), clicking Open Access Connections, then I went to Configure > Global Connections and turned off “Enable automatic wireless LAN radio control”. I haven't had a single problem since.
Message Edited by cward on 01-20-2009 09:29 AM
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

I just want to say that I fixed the issue and thanks for the help! Smiley Happy
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Hi, I have an X60 and my wireless radio keeps on turning off after 5-10 seconds.  I have already tried the "(Fn + F5), Open Access Connections, Configure, Global Connections and turning off “Enable automatic wireless LAN radio control".  Is there anything esle I can do? 

Thanks!

dsp
SCSI Port
0 Kudos

only a guess...

System Update suggested me to update my Wifi adapter (11a/b/g from Atheros) on my X60 driver to a  release 7.4.2.134. I had a lot of trouble with my wifi beginning around that time. I first tought its related to the heavy Wifi "pollution" - I always receive around 16-18 networks at the same time at home, lots of interference. But when I was in a much less "polluted" environment and had the similar behaviour, I got the suspicion, its related to my new Wifi driver.

Interestingly enough, System Update later suggested to download the latest  Wifi driver release 5.something. I was confused, but I think going back to the suggested 5.3.0.85 solved the issue.

Needless to say, that System Update is again suggesting to "upgrade" to 7.4.2.132 again. I will refrain from that, reading your experience.

What's DOS?
0 Kudos

Same issue. Lenovo X61 Tablet.

I was having the same problem with Windows XP.

I moved to ubuntu and I am having the same problem.

Moreover, I have changed the router too. Same issue.

Wireless connection disconnects and reconnects randomly.

It is pretty annoying. My laptop is not a laptop anymore, I have to keep the cable connected.

3 more computers in the same network. No issues with the others (Lenovo T42 works fine)

There is definitely a bug there.

Highlighted
What's DOS?
0 Kudos

I have  exactly the same problem with my X61 running Windows Vista Business. The wireless keeps dropping for no reason... and it takes several manual connection efforts.

Help please!