Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Will4
Paper Tape
Views: 917
Message 1 of 1

X-1 Carbon - make sure you purchase a config with sufficient SSD space

I'm a big fan of my Lenovo X1 Carbon Ultrabook. Type 3444-AZU Corei5  w/ 128 GB SSDHowever the X1 Carbon SSDs used are proprietary to LenovoThe issue is, when you are out of disk space an upgrade is prohibitively expensive, even though the upgrade would require simply unscrewing 7 exterior screws and one holding down the SSD (please see  x1carbon_manual_0b8811.pdf)

The original disk is a Field Replaceable Unit (FRU)

45N8297  SFF 128GB SanDisk the 256GB SSD upgrades are 45N8299 N SSD SFF 256GB SanDisk or try 45N8303 (toshiba)

When I called Lenovo on 12.13.2013 they said they had the right FRU but  wanted over $900USD for the new SSD, roughly 4 times what an equivalent mSATA SSD costs!!!

So as much as its a great system, this is a MAJOR drawback that none of the online reviews point out.

Also as a side note, the Lenovo X1 carbon specs page suggests that you can put up to 256MB SSD in the mSATA slot that also supports the WAN wireless card (if that slot is openI thought I had a solution there, but the mSATA SSD cards are too long to fit.

You can use a 128GB SD card in the removable slot, but Windows7 does not support storing any media files (music) on that card.

On the positive side, it took only about 10 minutes to clone the full disk to a new mSATA drive over the USB 3.0 port. Was really happy until I discovered the proprietary SSD...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors