Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

07-27-2017

Singapore

8 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 21 of 39

Re: X-1 Yoga Gen 2 Battery Life

2017-07-27, 7:52 AM

edit* double posted

Options

3 Posts

07-27-2017

Singapore

8 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 22 of 39

2017-07-27, 8:43 AM

Hi guys,

Intereting in getting this laptop, lenovo yoga x1 gen2 with OLED. Battery life is quite important to me so i was just wondering are people still getting subpar battery performance and are there any fixes so far?

Options

16 Posts

05-27-2017

United States of America

26 Signins

147 Page Views

• Views: 147
  • Message 23 of 39

2017-07-27, 15:36 PM

After tweaking things I find my X1Y2 OLED i7 can last 8-10 hours for light browsing, coding, and video watching.  A big power draw appears to be the OLED screen when there is a lot of white or blue content.  I have switched over to dark themes for a lot of my apps now because of this.  It is interesting because you can see the battery life estimate switch between 2-3 hours on full charge when viewing a screen that is mostly white, to 8 hours on same charge when viewing a dark screen (takes a few minutes for the estimate to change).

Avoiding white screens is difficult given that a lot of websites are white backgrounded.  So it will depend on what you use it for.

Reducing excessive CPU usage is the next important thing to manage.

This was annoying to figure out and get used to, but now that I'm in my routine with the laptop I really really really love it.  I was on a plane recently working on some stuff and decided I needed to do some sketching to figure out my ideas and started thinking about what in my backpack I could sketch on, and then I realized this laptop has a stylus pen!  It is so smooth and silky to use.  I was impressed and overjoyed and happy I went with the yoga instead of the carbon.

The OLED screen has definitely made me notice how other screens aren't nearly as impressive.  I'm still happy to watch media on other screens, but the OLED really pops.  The Thor 3 trailer with all its crazy color is amazing on it.

Options

83 Posts

02-21-2015

United States of America

209 Signins

1039 Page Views

• Views: 1039
  • Message 24 of 39

2017-07-29, 4:00 AM

I would say my OLED X-1 Yoga (Gen 2) is getting around 7-8 hours battery life with pretty intensive web browsing.  I average 6-9 watts of constant power draw according to Better Battery Bar with periodic flashes much higher than that when changing web pages or opening up programs, etc.

I'm very happy with that and, frankly, pretty impressed given how amazing that OLED screen is!

3 Posts

07-27-2017

Singapore

8 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 25 of 39

2017-07-29, 16:14 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Did some research and found that lenovo had initially planned to release this with intel iris graphics and an IR camera but these seemed to have been omitted? Anyone knows if there are plans to release these in the future?
Options

8 Posts

08-11-2017

United States of America

19 Signins

133 Page Views

• Views: 133
  • Message 26 of 39

2017-08-11, 5:16 AM

Like most here, I'm finding my 2nd gen X1 Yoga is avaraging around 5 hours of usage before needing a charge. This is web browsing, lite use, and running my OLED screen around 55 percent brightness on battery.   

Haven't done any scientific test to determine why just know that's the usual time I get. Was worse when I first got the laptop, but dropping brightness down to 55 percent upped the time.

Options

20 Posts

11-22-2015

morocco

27 Signins

205 Page Views

• Views: 205
  • Message 27 of 39

2017-09-02, 13:06 PM
Hi.
I'm wondering what tweaks did you manage to do to get that battery life ??
Options

2 Posts

08-28-2017

United States of America

18 Signins

197 Page Views

• Views: 197
  • Message 28 of 39

2017-09-03, 0:13 AM

Some good suggestions on reddit Link

Options

1 Posts

09-03-2017

United States of America

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 29 of 39

2017-09-03, 5:33 AM

I'm still having battery life issues with mine. I get about 3 hours of battery life with just doing Office and light web browsing.  I've even went as far as reinstalling with a clean version of Windows 10 and it has not made any difference.  I'm hoping Lenovo can provide some support.  These laptops have so much going for them, this battery issue is really killing the experience right now.

Options

16 Posts

05-27-2017

United States of America

26 Signins

147 Page Views

• Views: 147
  • Message 30 of 39

2017-09-03, 6:00 AM

The two significant power draws are the screen and the CPU.

The screen uses more power when it is brighter, and if you have the OLED, then also when it is showing more white/blue content than less white/blue content (blue components of the pixels use more power than red and green components).  Black is great because the pixels are off and using negligible power in that state.

Hence, use dark themes and avoid blue themes and lots of white to get more time out of your battery charge.  This isn't always easily possible or desirable, so you must find your happy balance between battery life and screen content.

The CPU uses power when it is active.  The CPU uses more power when it is sustaining activity.  100% usage constantly will drain your battery pretty quick.  Check to see if you've got constant use.

With the X1 Yoga 2nd gen (and presumably the X1 Carbon 5th gen) the CPUs tend to get too hot and thermal throttle, which means the clock speed is lowered to reduce the temperature, and then the clock speed is increased again once the temperature drops below a threshold.

I found with my X1 Yoga that the fan was coming on constantly when I first starting using it.  Any little background task like file indexing or windows update or lenovo software nonsense would very quickly hit hot temps and spin up the fan.  This was annoying but also an indicator that the CPU is going nuts, so both the CPU and the fan are drawing power.

My solution for this was two main tweaks:

1) disable Turbo Boost and stick with the max non-turbo boost clock speed.  And iirc on battery I reduced the maximum allowed clock speed to a few hundred MHz lower than that max, to virtually eliminate any fan usage. 

2) undervolt the CPU using Intel XTU.  This doesn't affect performance but reduces the power draw the CPU has when it is working.  Less voltage == less power draw.  CPUs are set to a voltage level that is guaranteed to be enough for the CPU to function, but because the CPU manufacturing process produces CPUs of varying quality, the voltage is set a fair bit higher than most CPUs require.  You can drop your CPU core voltage in small increments and run the tests in XTU to hammer the CPU for a few minutes and see if the system blue screens (or otherwise catastrophically fails).  This won't break the computer, but will indicate the voltage is not high enough to function.  Once you get to this failure point, bump the voltage back up an increment or two and leave it there for less power draw.

If you are still seeing only a few hours on a full charge, then first check to see if your CPU is being constantly pegged (even a constant dribble will drain battery, like the synaptics issue previously discussed).  If CPU is 0% when idle (and no background activities like update or indexing are running), then maybe you have a battery issue.

If you have the OLED screen, then before assuming you have a battery issue, I would suggest setting your screen brightness around 70-80% and changing the screen to a black background, wait a couple minutes or so for the battery indicator to recalculate a remaining time estimate, and check it to see if you truly have a problem.  On a full charge, black background, 0% CPU, after a few minutes you should see > 10 hours estimated.

There might also be something to breaking in a battery.  That sounds like nonsense to me, but I do feel like my battery life has gradually gotten a lot better since May.  E.g., darker colored screen content at CPU idle and 65% battery remaining I've just seen a few days ago an estimate of 10.5 hours remaining.  But this point is super anecdotal; I haven't scientifically tracked the estimated time vs real time etc or anything.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms