Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DSark
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,589
Message 1 of 39

X-1 Yoga Gen 2 Battery Life

Battery life seems way less than advertised... 4-5 hours max at default settings.  Just basic web browsing and some word processing.  Showed 4.5 hours out of the box on first charge, and never got better.  No unusual "background" processes draining battery.  Any one else seeing this?

ianwjhalliday
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,501
Message 2 of 39

Re: X-1 Yoga Gen 2 Battery Life

I am also seeing battery life typically around 4-5 hours at full charge.

I have the OLED i7 7600u model.
Britchey
What's DOS?
Views: 4,493
Message 3 of 39

Mine got just over 2 hours with OLED, I called support and was sent a new one.  Out of the box, fully charged with nothing installed on it, having just this single Edge browser window open, 4 hours, 47 minutes.   Lenovo doesn't need to mislead customers on battery life - I need at least 6 hours battery life (which is what my T450s had with 2 batteries) and would have sacrificed weight for more battery life.  I am afraid if I reinstall all my apps on this I will end up with 2 hour life again.  May just need to return.

drjochen
Punch Card
Views: 4,473
Message 4 of 39

I have the same problem. With just Office and web browsing on 50% brightness, I got a bit over four hours. I have done this test twice now. The numbers are very similar to our gen one yoga. This is just plain false advertising from Lenovo and very disappointing. 

takosan
Punch Card
Views: 4,424
Message 5 of 39

Greetings to everyone on this thread. I am contemplating to get the Gen 2 TP X1 Yoga (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/questions-about-TP-Yoga-series/td-p/3702738) and was wondering if the battery life you've all reported in this thread is still what you are getting or if they have improved.

In the above thread I referenced I've gotten a different feedback so I understanding that this is all subjective, if I can get an update and maybe some more context (if possible) I'll really appreciate it!

Takosan

drjochen
Punch Card
Views: 4,405
Message 6 of 39

So I ran a non scientific battery test twice now. My yoga is i5, 16 gb, 1 tb ssd, oled screen.

I charged the battery to 100%, opened only outlook 2016, and set the screen to 50% brightness. Then i left the computer alone and recorded better percentage versus time. The discharge is basically linear in time. Run one gave me 279 minutes until I reached 5% battery. Run two gave me 284 minutes until 5% battery. Draw your own conclusions....

ianwjhalliday
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,399
Message 7 of 39

I haven't had a moment to run a test, but anecdotally I seem to have better battery life after rolling back the Synaptics driver and the audio driver, from device manager's rollback feature.  Functionality as far as I can tell isn't hindered for the trackpad. Audio reverts to Microsoft audio HD, so presumably loses some of the business call audio focusing fuctionality.

I did this because I noticed low but constant CPU usage with audio and Synaptics (latter indirectly through a polling WMI query).

Now I'm seeing 0% CPU use on idle (when no background updates or scans), and battery indicator shows 6-8 hours at full charge, 3-4 at half, and it seems to last that long, but again I haven't measured to confirm.

The OLED screen does draw more power with colors closer to white than black, so I've also tried to adjust my usage toward darker themes and backgrounds. However I still use browser in a light color theme and websites tend to be lighter than darker, and I'm still seeing longer battery life while browsing and watching videos.

All anecdotal, but I'd be curious to know if others see a gain by rolling back the same drivers.

DSark
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,287
Message 8 of 39

Thanks... will try some of these....
Guru
Views: 4,273
Message 9 of 39

Go to an administrative command prompt and run the following command:

powercfg -energy

Open up the energy-report.html file after it completes and see if it reports any unusual errors or warnings.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,150
Message 10 of 39

I've been chasing a similar issue on my Gen 1 X1Y.  Constant WMI Provider Host 5-10% CPU usage when idle.

After chasing things with msconfig it is as stated up-thread: rolling back the Synaptics driver brings CPU usage down to 0-1% at idle.

Mis-behaving Synaptics driver is 19.3.4.83.  The one that's working for me (don't know if I've lost any functionality) is 19.3.4.67.

FWIW,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors