04-13-2008

INDIA

19 Signins

261 Page Views

• Views: 261
  • Message 1 of 6

X-61 STARTUP WOES

2008-04-13, 1:40 AM
 For  over  3 weeks  now  my  x-61  is   dead  .Initially  I  had  this  Genuine  Window  vista  business   preloaded  on  my  thinkpad  than  the next  thing  I   tried  sort  of  a  geek  which  actually  am  not   and  tried  upgrading   to  vista  ultimate Courtesy   a    friend  from  overseas   and  I  very gladly   tried  the  upgrade  procedure  and      in  the  end  the    key  entered  was  rejected  since   I  suspect  the  version  and  the  key  itself  was  fake. 

For  a  week  I  tried   punching  in  the  same  22digit  code  but  to  no  avail .While the   thinkpad  wouldn't  start up  in  normal  mode  I  was  booting  the  same  in   safe  mode  by  hitting  F7   .Later  I  tried  partioning  the  drive by  shrinking  the  volume  of  C:/ drive  and  which  I  though  succeded in  and thought  I  atleast  will  have  have  the  humble  window xp  installed  on  the  partioned  drive  being  E:/  I  had  the  xp   copied  to  my  sandisk  4GB  flashdrive  and  tried    moving    the    same  on  Drive E:/  it  did  move   but  the  installation  feature  remained masked  and  unhighlighted  .In  utter  frustation  thereafter  I   activated  the    drive  ignoring  the   caution  window  that  the  if  the  same  is  done  pre installation  of  any  OS  the  computer/thinkpad   may  not  start  at  all . I  threw  caution  to the  wind   and  now  the   state  I  am  in  is  zulu!!!! 

I  have  tried  all  options  but the  system   just  does not  boot  On  pressing  the  power  button   I get  the  two  liners  staring  at  me  which  reads : BOOTMGR  IS  MISSING   PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL to  restart  .But  the equation   hardly  helps   tried   entering   bios  utility  too, more  often than  not   by  hitting   F1  delete  and  whatever   but  again    nothing  works    Forumers .Is  there   a  way  out  of  this    deadend  zone  to  enliven   the  x61  again  without   having  to   go for  pricey  repairs  from  outside   or  even  use  the     USB  optical  drive  which  I  am  without  as  of  now  .By the  way  this    piece  is  just  about   2  months  old and  is  still  brand  new .Can  some  one  rescue  and   guide  me  through  this    maze

Message Edited by blutrickle on 04-20-2008 09:26 AM

Message Edited by blutrickle on 04-20-2008 09:28 AM
Solved! See the solution
Options

3965 Posts

11-20-2007

US

23520 Signins

803285 Page Views

• Views: 803285
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: X-61 STARTUP WOES

2008-04-13, 7:51 AM

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

3965 Posts

11-20-2007

US

23520 Signins

803285 Page Views

• Views: 803285
  • Message 3 of 6

2008-04-15, 0:22 AM
If I understand correctly, you tried to upgrade from Vista Business to Vista Ultimate using a pirated version which didn't work.  Then you tried loading XP which also didn't work.

I'm going to assume you didn't make the backup discs before starting all this, so that you don't have a copy of the original pre-load to start over with.  Contact support in your country, and purchase a set of the preload discs for Vista Business.  Load them, and you should be back to where you were in the beginning.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

2 Posts

04-13-2008

INDIA

19 Signins

261 Page Views

• Views: 261
  • Message 4 of 6

2008-04-15, 15:18 PM

Hi

Well  I  had  in  my  mind  proceeding   with  the  same    option   but  the  problem  is   after I  have  the   USB  optical Drive   beside  a  set  of  6  CDs  titled  RESCUE  &  RECOVERY, that already Came  along  with  the  thinkpad   you  think   the system  that    is  dead  for  good as  of  now  will    detect  the   USB  OPTICAL  DRIVE   once   connected  and   will  allow  the    rescue  and  recovery  operation   so also   The  think  advantage  button    work  to  recover/function   and  are   the   rescue  and  reovery   CDs  will  have  the   original  genuine   preloaded  version  of    vista  business on one  of  them  since   I   am  so  unsure   I  shall  be    grateful  if  you  can  help  me  resurrect  this    sleepy  X61  of  mine .

Thanks  anyway   .Will  get  back   but  give  me  a   feed  on  the  above  pse.and  anything  else  in  detail  if  you  know  to  make  the    rescue  operation tick .

Bye  for  now

PAWAN SOBTI

Message Edited by blutrickle on 04-16-2008 06:39 PM
Options

119 Posts

01-02-2008

Pune, India

394 Signins

2933 Page Views

• Views: 2933
  • Message 5 of 6

2008-04-17, 5:38 AM
That should work. Go to your bios and change the boot sequence so that you can boot from external DVD/CD. Now follow the instruction for recovery from rescue disks. You should be home.

Have you made OS rescue disks?

Sushil

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

6 Posts

01-26-2008

Atlanta Mobile Support

13 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 6 of 6

2008-05-25, 21:49 PM
The 6 CD set you got is NOT the Vista Recovery Disc set. It is the XP Pro downgrade disc set. Thinkpads bought directly from Lenovo with Vista Business or Ultimate now usually come with the XP Downgrade discs. BEFORE USING THEM, you MUST create your own set of Vista Recovery Discs. There's a link in the Thinkvantage folder labelled "Create Recovery Media". You can make ONE set of recovery discs, then the link disappears (but every time you "Restore my hard drive to original factory state," the link reappears, and you can create another set). If you install the XP downgrade and DON'T make a set of Vista discs, YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR VISTA DISCS ($45 + $3.03 S&H + TAX) if you ever want to reinstall Vista.

Recovery discs for the preloaded O/S aren't included because the system can make it's own set.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete