cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 4,286
Message 1 of 116

X Series Laptops Shipping discussion (2013)

All,

Please post your shipping and order management experiences here.

Some frequent points of discussion:

• How to get a system fast: Buy an in-stock standard configuration from Lenovo or a Lenovo Partner in your area. Customized systems take longer.
  • Avoid Credit Holds - ensure that BOTH your bill to and ship to addresses are listed with your CC bank before ordering 
  • Lenovo will NOT bill your card until order ships - an authorization charge hold to check for available balance may show up when order is first placed. 
  • Estimated ship dates are based on default lead time and can vary from what was displayed on website. 
  • In the US and Canada, Lenovo utilizes UPS for new product shipments 
  • Orders may ship before the Estimated Ship Date 
  • Orders may enter through Alaska and pass through Louisville, KY before traveling on to final address 
  • Cancellation requests may take up to 2 days to process 
  • Requests to change configuration or other aspects of the order may require the order to be rebooked. 
  • Lenovo does not accept payment via international credit cards, except AMEX. 

Previous editions of this thread:

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
oldlock
Punch Card
Views: 4,182
Message 2 of 116

Re: X Series Laptops Shipping discussion (2013)

Ordered on the 26th December, Accessories arrived on the 4th Jan. Laptop advised as shipped on the 5th, due to 'fly' on the 7th, although that's now been pushed back till the 9th. Hopefully it should be with me in 5 / 6 days. Can't wait.
ceb
WWAN
Views: 4,176
Message 3 of 116

@bananaman wrote:

All,

Please post your shipping and order management experiences here.

Some frequent points of discussion:

• How to get a system fast: Buy an in-stock standard configuration from Lenovo or a Lenovo Partner in your area. Customized systems take longer.
  • Avoid Credit Holds - ensure that BOTH your bill to and ship to addresses are listed with your CC bank before ordering 
  • Lenovo will NOT bill your card until order ships - an authorization charge hold to check for available balance may show up when order is first placed. 
  • Estimated ship dates are based on default lead time and can vary from what was displayed on website. 
  • In the US and Canada, Lenovo utilizes UPS for new product shipments 
  • Orders may ship before the Estimated Ship Date 
  • Orders may enter through Alaska and pass through Louisville, KY before traveling on to final address 
  • Cancellation requests may take up to 2 days to process 
  • Requests to change configuration or other aspects of the order may require the order to be rebooked. 
  • Lenovo does not accept payment via international credit cards, except AMEX. 

Previous editions of this thread:

I think you are being a bit optimistic. There are plenty of threads here where people made no changes (or changes weren't even possible) and shipping dates were pushed out.

Having the billing and shipping addresses identical won't stop a credit hold - it may prevent an order cancellation (apparently often without any notification - the credit hold will stay on your card well after the cancellation.

The estimated ship times appear to be over promised and under delivered - it should be the other way around.

Cancellation requests may take a very long time, require multiple calls to customer service and lots of elevated blood pressure.

Any attempts to change configurations will require cancellations.

You description sounds like the way that Dell, Apple and every other manufacturer does it - and the way that Lenovo SHOULD be doing it..The mods and frequent volunteers need to recognize the limitations in Lenovo and not try to sugarcoat the problems. Posts like yours defeat their purpose as it makes you seem out of touch - sorry, because your advice normally is spot on.

Rustydog1972
Punch Card
Views: 4,137
Message 4 of 116

Ordered Dec 11 2012.  X1 carbon touch. I7, 128 gig ssd.. no options. just clicked the buttons.

Jan 6th 2013 still not received due to Lenovo actions.  Expected to be received 1/8/2013.

lebouitz
Punch Card
Views: 4,116
Message 5 of 116

I ordered a Carbon X1 touch on 12/13. The Lenovo Website indicated it should arrive by Christmas. The order tracking system then says 1/3/2013. Then the order system says 1/10 and this Saturday it says 1/20. Does anybody know what is going on. Shipping was originally advertised as within 2 weeks and now it turns out to be well over a month. Meanwhile my credit card was charged on 12/31 even though the Website says the charge only occurs upon shipment. Is anyone else having this problem it is very irritating.
ceb
WWAN
Views: 4,100
Message 6 of 116

Was your card actually charged or was a hold placed on your account for the amount of the sale?

A hold will reduce your available credit but will not show up on your bill. All vendors (online or otherwise) start with a hold that gets converted to a charge once the item is shipped.

Sometimes, the charge follows the hold so quickly that it is transparent to you (purchases made at most physical stores) or sometimes you'll see a $1 hold on your card. This is most often from gas stations that run a $1 hold on your card when swiped to assure that the card number is valid and don't do the actual charge until later in the day.

By US (and other countries') laws and a vendor's agreement with the credit card companies, they are not allowed to charge until the itemis shipped.

If it is an actual charge then either your computer has left the factory or thay are violating the law and/or the credit card agreement.

I suspect it is a hold.

lebouitz
Punch Card
Views: 4,087
Message 7 of 116

I checked and it shows up as a pending charge so you are likely correct. I did some checking and I think the delay may be due to an under supply of touch screens. It would be nice if Lenovo identified the source of the delay.
illuminuldis
Paper Tape
Views: 4,080
Message 8 of 116

I ordered an X1CT on December 28th, and it was cancelled by Lenovo on January 4th. I wasn’t entirely surprised or even upset, as a number of people in the support forums were complaining about finicky touch-screen performance, DOA machines, and rubbery (instead of glassy) trackpads.

I am disappointed, however, that Lenovo as a company doesn’t know what it’s doing when it comes to delivering quality products on schedule that match the performance of the units they send to reviewers. I think I may just purchase a Macbook Air and bootcamp Windows for work, since my #1 choice is no longer in the running.

lebouitz
Punch Card
Views: 4,056
Message 9 of 116

I find it hard to believe they outright canceled your order after accepting it. The CX1 has been around since last August. Why would these problems emerge now?
illuminuldis
Paper Tape
Views: 4,037
Message 10 of 116

I'm talking about the X1 Carbon Touch (X1CT). When I called Lenovo and asked about the approximate shipping times right before I actually ordered the product, they told me that the fulfillment date shouldn't deviate much from the original January 12th date, and that it would then take a few business days after that to get it to my doorstep. I was so anxious to get my new machine that I checked both the forums and my order status every day to see if there had been any early adopters who had received their machines and were putting up their initial impressions. 

Had I not checked my order status on the 4th and instead waited until around the 12th I may not have known my order was even cancelled. Lenovo should have emailed/called me to let me know that my rather pricey laptop wasn't coming instead of just changing my invoice from pending to cancelled. I already wasted a week waiting for laptop that won't arrive.

It's a shame, too, since I really want the X1CT after reading so many good reviews for the X1C.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors