Did you mean: 
reach
Fanfold Paper
Views: 752
Message 1 of 6

X1 2017: "Lenovo Settings" app slow, unreliable, unstabile, high CPU load

Hi there,

I'm having all sorts of issues with the Lenovo Settings app on my X1 Carbon:

- it's terribly slow, not a single action that doesn't show some sort of spinning wheel. 

- after launch it takes approximately 20 seconds to "update", until then it shows wrong data. 

- sometimes it shows wrong data even after some time. I mean it shows things switched on or off, which I definitely set differently.

- sometimes it recognizes my 45W power supply as the original (saying "45W Power supply connected), sometimes not.

- depending on above, it sometimes "thinks" I'm in an airplane, hence slows down the charging and shows a nasty airplane icon in the tray

- almost all the time the app is active the fans are blowing full speed (I wrote in the title that the CPU load is high, I actually haven't verified that, I only noticed the fans revving up)

- sometimes some of the power settings (airplane mode) aren't shown at all. I first have to click a few other buttons and then return to the power settings.

I would have gotten rid of the app, but I find the 80% charging limit pretty useful and also the airplane mode.

Unfortunately the Lenovo support doesn't even know what I'm talking about. They think airplane mode refers to WIFI and Bluetooth being switched off, like on the cellphone. They didn't believe me until I read on the phone what their own app says. 

I tried to re-install the app and to un and/or re-install some of the services the Lenovo page recommends for my notebook. No change.

Does anyone have similar issues? Could anybody resolve them?

Cheers, 

reach

ianwjhalliday
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 674
Message 2 of 6

Re: X1 2017: "Lenovo Settings" app slow, unreliable, unstabile, high CPU load

I have seen exactly the same poor performance from Lenovo Settings app.  Unbelievable that it has to spend any time to load anything.  And the file sizes of the binaries involved are unnecessarily massive.

Lenovo Companion software is a equally poor performer.

I have uninstalled both because I cannot deal with the high CPU use and slow performance.  This is a shame though because there are good features that as far as I can tell are only accessible with this software installed and in use.

Notably on the X1 Yoga 1/2 with OLED screen, the color settings are important to have.  I am dealing with less than ideal color reproduction for now.

Lenovo please address this.

Lenovo Employee hzfdbd
Lenovo Employee
Views: 603
Message 3 of 6

Yes, dev also notice this issue.

And in one week or two, there would be a new update to fix this performance issue. 

Lenovo Employee hzfdbd
Lenovo Employee
Views: 517
Message 4 of 6

The new version of Lenovo Setting 3.0.164 is already released to Windows Store to address performance issue.

You could upgrade from windows store.

ianwjhalliday
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 460
Message 5 of 6

I gave it a try.  It is noticeably better but still not perfect.  Would appreciate the software dev team spending more time tuning the app.  A settings app should be instantly responsive everywhere.  It's basically the same deal as the Windows Settings app, shouldn't be any less in quality.

user0234
What's DOS?
Views: 142
Message 6 of 6

This is incredibly heavy application for managing settings...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors