Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhedman2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 552
Message 1 of 7

X1 5th Gen - PCI issues with thunderbolt dock

Currently have an X1 Carbon 5th Gen - 20HR, that is experiencing susbtantial issues with the Thunderbolt dock now.  I'll start with some initial info to set the stage.

-----------------------

X1 Carbon 5th Gen - 20HR Machine Type

Windows 10 Pro - 1903 - build 18356.21

Thunderbolt 3 dock, dual Display (thinkvision P24Q), one hdmi and one display port

All updates for windows and lenovo, using thinkvantage tool.  Including latest thunderbolt firmware deployed yesterday (v.17.0.0.1).

Problem device - PCI-to-PCI bridge - version 10.0.18356.1

-----------------------

Symptoms.

Starting about 3 weeks ago, started experiencing an issue where by if I start the laptop off the dock, and plug in to the dock, none of the USB devices connected to the dock will work.  The displays work fine, but none of the USB devices do.  Such as camera, keyboard/mouse, external HD, etc.

Upon opening device manager, I will always see a PCI-to-PCI bridge device in a non functional state, stating the driver has failed, subsequent attempts to update driver or completely uninstall all PCI-to-PCI bridge devices and rediscover them won't work.  Nothing fixes the issue but a reboot with the dock connected.

Even with the dock functional, I now experience a strange issue whereby one of the two monitors will randomly flash (meaning go black and than almost immediately come back on).

If I start the laptop on the dock, disconnect, and reconnect, I still have the same issues.  Charging seems to be working fine however.

In Windows event log, i do see this -

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device USB\VID_17EF&PID_306A&MI_00\b&1e306ec8&3&0000.

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ROOT\SYSTEM\0001

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ROOT\HIDCLASS\0000

Anyone else experiencing similar issues or have some ideas?  This is terribly annoying, I work from home and probably connect/disconnect from my dock half a dozen times a day, i can't reboot like that.

Thanks.

TomRizz
What's DOS?
Views: 413
Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 5th Gen - PCI issues with thunderbolt dock

Exact same problem here.

Carbon X1 5th Gen (20HR)

I also use my dock for networking and it disconnects along with all the USB peripherals.

I've tried reinstalling all the dock drivers to no avail.

Extremely frustrating after spending so much money on a what is supposed to be a premium set of products.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 387
Message 3 of 7

Hi jhedman2! Try running the update through the Think Vantage app. Install all detected updates then restart. If the issue still persist, run a hardware test through the same app to check if there is a hardware failure. You can get the app here: https://vantage.lenovo.com/.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

jhedman2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 383
Message 4 of 7

I've done all of the above about 25 times over the last year, including updating the dock firmware when ever it's possible, hardware scans show 0 problems.  As you can tell by the error messages I've posted, it's likely nothing to do with hardware, but more so the usb drivers.  As noted by the fact that anything on the usbc dock works great except for usba and usbc peripherals.  That is video and audio seem to work fine.  Makes the $300 dock fairly useless.  Finally, if it were hardware, one would surmise that simply a reboot wouldn't fix the issue, but rebooting while connected to the dock fixes the issue until I undock and try to redock.

TomRizz
What's DOS?
Views: 365
Message 5 of 7

I spent 3 hours yesterday and finally got this resolved.

Steps I followed:

1. Disconnect the laptop from the dock.
  2. Power off the dock. (Unplug)
  3. Uninstall any and all drivers/software that pertain to the dock. (ThinkPad Dock drivers, Intel ThunderBolt Drivers, Conexant usb audio drivers, USB-C dock drivers, etc)
  4. Reboot
  5. Install the ThunderBolt driver
  6. Reboot again
  7. Plug the dock back in, connect the laptop to the dock.
  8. Approve the ThunderBolt device if prompted.
jhedman2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 356
Message 6 of 7

Thanks. I will give this a try, I to have tried similar things, the issue becomes that it works the first time while it's docked, but after that removal and redock, it fails.  This also becomes substantially more common after any Windows updates, seems like the Lenovo drivers and windows drivers may not be very compatible.

jhedman2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 229
Message 7 of 7

Quick response to this.  I tried all of your suggestions and it seemed to work for me just fine.  Of course it was only temporary.  Since I implemented all of your suggestions probably around a month ago, everything seemed to work fine.  however, since I'm one of those wierd windows users that doesn't manually reboot my PC a lot, I only do it when updates are forced, I didn't try things much.

I've used my dock quite a few times and it's worked great.  Until NOW.  Just put it on the dock, and voila the same issues have popped up.  I have not installed anything new, other than regular windows updates since I implemented your changes.  Same outcome, go into computer management, and I see a PCI-to-PCI bridge problem, several very non-descriptive events in the event log, and no USB devices working again.

This is extremely frustrating and to be frank, this type of thunderbolt/usb-c problems is exactly why I dumped my macbook pro and went back to a thinkpad.  Slap in the face I'm having issues again!  Lenovo needs to figure out these driver issues hands down.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors