Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 30 (1,535 Views)

X1 5th gen thinkpad trackpoint

Now that the 5th gen Thinkpad is here, the decline of the trackpoint becomes ever clearer.  Frankly, most of us would not be buying Thinkpads if they didn't have the trackpoint.  That's the X1's main advantage.  But Lenovo keeps making it worse.  First, the trackpoint caps that will fit the gen 4 and 5 come in only one, unpopular, variant and you can't get the soft rim version.  But more importantly, Lenovo keeps on degrading the software control of the trackpoint.  It used to be that you could adjust the sensitivity of the trackpoint, making it more or less stiff.  Even the softest setting was inadequate but it was something.  In the 5gen there is no option to change the stiffness or responsiveness of the trackpoint's movements at all.  Lenovo: hear your customers!! Please make the trackpoint MORE not less adjustable. 

Community SuperMod
Message 2 of 30 (1,481 Views)

Re: X1 5th gen thinkpad trackpoint

Hi pbaldwin!

While I don't have an X1 5th Gen here, I do have a closely-related X1 Yoga 2nd gen (it uses the same driver) and it IS possible to adjust the TrackPoint response speed. Can you post the version number of your Synaptics driver, and a screen shot of what you see on the ThinkPad tab of the Mouse Control Panel please.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 30 (1,478 Views)

Thanks much for a quick response.  The Synaptics driver is 19.3.4.71.  And having had a second look, you are right in the sense that the choice of trackpoint speed has been shifted, but is still there.  My main point is that the range of sensitivity has long been wholly insufficient.  Even the "fastest" setting is still a long slow drag, and that is why so many users complain about the lack of a soft rim cap, which offers much greater leverage.  Lenovo should make the fast setting for the track point twice as fast, allow users to adjust as they please within this wider range, and also please offer soft rim track point caps!!

Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 30 (1,438 Views)

hi there, there are actually 2 speed guages in the mouse settings, 1 is in the windows setting "pointer options", and 1 is in the synaptic setting "Thinkpad". Try to maximize both. In fact for my case, both max-out is still not enough. I agree that adding a "turbo" checkbox for slow trackpoint thinkpad models truly make sense.

I believe this is the "red rubber cap" being too soft and cannot pressure the sensor enough. I have written a post before about this. You can work on the cap and will notice differences in the pointer speed.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/tp02_en/thread-id/50994/page/2

I have even put a tiny bit of paper inside the cap's hole to improve the pressure on the stick. Maybe you can try.

Paper Tape
Message 5 of 30 (1,429 Views)

Thanks for this tip.  I am unable to find anything in Windows that deals with the pointer speed.  Lots of adjustments on pointer thickness and the like, but not speed.  For clarification of precisely where in W10 this is, I'd be grateful.

Fanfold Paper
Message 6 of 30 (1,423 Views)

[ Edited ]

In "Start", you type "pointer", then your should see "Change the mouse pointer display or speed", click that. Then the "Mouse Properties" window pop-up and you shall find the tab "Pointer Options", make it fastest.

The 2nd one is under the tab "Thinkpad", click "settings" and you shall see a Trackpoint speed.

BTW I am using Win10 Home version

Community SuperMod
Message 7 of 30 (1,403 Views)

Nice find lobon! In the Mouse Properties Control panel the Speed sliders under both the ThinkPad and Pointer Options tabe seem to be additive, making the TrackPoint even more sensitive!

I also tested this on an older X1 Carbon 3rd Gen and it seems to be true there too, but to get to the ThinkPad slider you have to click on the Settings button under the ThinkPad tab.

For me the default settings work great.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Paper Tape
Message 8 of 30 (1,394 Views)

Alas, on the 5 gen that no longer seems to be the case.  If you type pointer, you get the "Change the mouse pointer display or speed," but clicking on that takes you only to the Lenovo mouse set up box.  All references to pointer found through the search box take you only to the Lenovo settings and that adjustment to speed or sensitivity of the pointer is just not sufficient.  I'm using W10 professional.  Earlier generations of the X1 had the double-adjustment, but it was phased out around gen 3.  Please, Lenovo, bring this back, or at least make the one adjustment you allow sufficiently broad in its range.

Fanfold Paper
Message 9 of 30 (1,381 Views)

I see, that's quite a change.

Suppose you type "mouse" at "Start" and try the options, can you bring up any other mouse setting window other than the lenovo one?

I dont think the lenovo setting window can control, say, the wheel of the mouse. So there should be some other settings elsewhere. I wish you good luck hunting it.

Paper Tape
Message 10 of 30 (1,378 Views)

The Windows mouse settings only deal with the size of the pointer and non-essential stuff like that.  The wheel is controlled from the Lenovo settings under the Wheel tab.  It's a shame that Lenovo so neglects the trackpoint, because it's their strongest selling point.  How many of us would not long ago have wandered off to other brands had it not been the for the trackpoint, which is the pointing device for serious typists.

Top kudoed Authors