Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caixiaodong
What's DOS?
Views: 3,893
Message 1 of 9

X1 Carbon (1st gen) SSD upgrade part purchase

Hi there,

There is an earlier discussion about SSD upgrade for 1st generation x1 carbon, up to 256GB. Someone mentioned two specific models that has the proprietary SSF form factor on this machine. I did a google search and can't find anywhere to buy. Below is the model number for 256GB. Anyone knows where to buy?

45N8483 2 SD 256GB 3.7mmH SanDisk SF X10-256 

Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,860
Message 2 of 9

Re: X1 Carbon (1st gen) SSD upgrade part purchase

Hi

Are you ready to pay $502 for 256 GB drive?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

caixiaodong
What's DOS?
Views: 3,856
Message 3 of 9

Hi x220forme,

Thanks for the reply. I found the thread between you and "malloy0" on the SSF adapter and transcend 600. I think that is a great solution. I ordered the adapter last night and will go ahead with transcend SSD (the 22x60mm one). I am not ready for a $500 upgrade to 256GB :-)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,852
Message 4 of 9

I agree, that's a really better solution than to pay incredible price for the proprietary device.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

machina3x
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,796
Message 5 of 9

Hi

Please report back how it worked out for you?  Thanks

Thinkpads
Paper Tape
Views: 3,400
Message 6 of 9

aded Re: X1 Carbon (1st gen) SSD upgrade part purchase

I upgraded my x1c gen1 SSD with the following:

512gb SSD:
Transcend 512 GB SATA III MTS600 60 mm M.2 SSD (TS512GMTS600)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KLTPWJE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

With an SSD adapter (internal connection = nonstd)
Flashmen® M.2 NGFF SSD to 26 Pin Adapter for Lenovo X1 Carbon Ultrabook
http://www.amazon.com/Flashmen%C2%AE-Adapter-Lenovo-Carbon-Ultrabook/dp/B014LZ2FYS/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_d...

Best part about this adapt vs others similar converters is that it's shorter and fits without any hot glue. There's a screw mount that connects directly (albeit slightly off alignment)

Both working great for last 3mos
Upgraded system to Win10 (clean install)

TOJDenmark
Paper Tape
Views: 3,140
Message 7 of 9

Re: aded Re: X1 Carbon (1st gen) SSD upgrade part purchase

Hi There,
It sounds easy with the SSD upgrade you did in your X1c.

I am desparate for some guidance....

I purchased a special X1c SFF to M.2 adapter and a Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD (TS512GMTS400), that fits perfect as replacement for the original SanDisk 2565GB SSD. However, my X1c 1st Gen (34602SG) doesn't detect the new SSD in the BIOS [G6ETB4WW (2.74 )]. When running the diagnosis tool as part of the BIOS I can see that it reads the typenumber of the SSD, but all test tests fails. In the BIOS boot menu the SSD typenumber isn't listed by any of the SATA entries.

I tried to boot from a Rescue&Recover image on a USB HDD, and it also started transfering the image to the SSD but stopped at 20% saying that I have to extend the volume ??

I retried the same process again, and now it tells me that no harddisk available.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Torben 

TOJDenmark
Paper Tape
Views: 3,140
Message 8 of 9

Hi There,
It sounds easy with the SSD upgrade you did in your X1c.

I am desparate for some guidance....

I purchased a special X1c SFF to M.2 adapter and a Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD (TS512GMTS400), that fits perfect as replacement for the original SanDisk 2565GB SSD. However, my X1c 1st Gen (34602SG) doesn't detect the new SSD in the BIOS [G6ETB4WW (2.74 )]. When running the diagnosis tool as part of the BIOS I can see that it reads the typenumber of the SSD, but all test tests fails. In the BIOS boot menu the SSD typenumber isn't listed by any of the SATA entries.

I tried to boot from a Rescue&Recover image on a USB HDD, and it also started transfering the image to the SSD but stopped at 20% saying that I have to extend the volume ??

I retried the same process again, and now it tells me that no harddisk available.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Thinkpads
Paper Tape
Views: 3,079
Message 9 of 9

... almost sounds like you got a bad SSD (or maybe while handling it, some static elect killed it)

I'm running an older BIOS (2.72) w/o a problem.

1) Can test to see what's screwed up (either the SSD or the adapt)... would suggest getting an external USB or SATA adapter for the SSD so that you can test it.
2) If your old 265gb SSD works... reboot with that, then plug in the new 512 SSD via USB to see if you can fully read what's there.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors