Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThinkpadClan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,442
Message 1 of 4

X1 Carbon 2016 (4th Gen) Fingerprint Reader Not Working

In the last few weeks, I have noticed the fingerprint reader on my 4th Gen X1 Carbon works infrequently. I find that upon boot, it only works about 25% of the time. The remaining times, I am forced to enter my password and the fingerprint driver shows an error in Windows Device Manager. I am running the lastest version of Windows 10, have completed all recent BIOS updates, and have attempted to reinstall all relevant drivers several times. 

Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or if support can provide a solution.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,396
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Carbon 2016 (4th Gen) Fingerprint Reader Not Working

What driver version is installed, according to device manager?

Though I don't know of this specific problem, sometimes random problems can be solved by resetting the fingerprint data in BIOS Setup (in the Security -> Fingerprint menu), and then re-enrolling your fingerprints in Windows Hello.

ThinkpadClan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,388
Message 3 of 4

Now, the device no longer shows up in device manager, unless I select "show hidden devices". The most recent fingerprint driver is Synaptics WBDI (SGX Enabled) 5.1.321.26. It says the following: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45) To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer." When I go to Windows Hello settings, it says Windows Hello isn't available on this device. In the BIOS, when I attempt to reset fingerprint data, it says there is no fingerprint reader attached and won't allow me to reset. Not sure if this is becoming a hardware issue now.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,386
Message 4 of 4

If BIOS can't find the fingerprint reader, it's definitely a hardware problem.  My suggestion is to call lenovo support and request warranty service.

Top Kudoed Authors