Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThinkpadClan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,476
Message 1 of 4

X1 Carbon 2016 (4th Gen) Fingerprint Reader Not Working

In the last few weeks, I have noticed the fingerprint reader on my 4th Gen X1 Carbon works infrequently. I find that upon boot, it only works about 25% of the time. The remaining times, I am forced to enter my password and the fingerprint driver shows an error in Windows Device Manager. I am running the lastest version of Windows 10, have completed all recent BIOS updates, and have attempted to reinstall all relevant drivers several times. 

Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or if support can provide a solution.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,430
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Carbon 2016 (4th Gen) Fingerprint Reader Not Working

What driver version is installed, according to device manager?

Though I don't know of this specific problem, sometimes random problems can be solved by resetting the fingerprint data in BIOS Setup (in the Security -> Fingerprint menu), and then re-enrolling your fingerprints in Windows Hello.

ThinkpadClan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,422
Message 3 of 4

Now, the device no longer shows up in device manager, unless I select "show hidden devices". The most recent fingerprint driver is Synaptics WBDI (SGX Enabled) 5.1.321.26. It says the following: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45) To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer." When I go to Windows Hello settings, it says Windows Hello isn't available on this device. In the BIOS, when I attempt to reset fingerprint data, it says there is no fingerprint reader attached and won't allow me to reset. Not sure if this is becoming a hardware issue now.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,420
Message 4 of 4

If BIOS can't find the fingerprint reader, it's definitely a hardware problem.  My suggestion is to call lenovo support and request warranty service.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors