cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rene-CH
Not applicable
Views: 1,191
Message 1 of 3

X1 Carbon 2016: Finger Print Reader not recognized; is it a hardware or a software issue?

Hello All,

I just got my X1 Carbon back from a warranty dealer (SSD had to be replaced).

I re-installed a fresh Windows 10 on it, then went on to download the specific drivers from Lenovo's Download Page. I also updated the BIOS, and the latest "Hardware Scan" resulted in no problems.

Still, I can't get the Finger Print Reader to work again. It does not appear under "Device Manager", the "Hardware Scan" does not even seem to try finding it, and under "User Account", Windows 10 informs me that "Windows Hello is not available on this device".

On the other hand: Device Manager does list an "Unknown Device" in the "USB Hubs" Category branch. The property page says that "This device has been disabled as it was reporting an error (Code: 43)". Yes, I tried the "update drivers" trick, including rebooting and everything...

I'm not sure if I have missed doing / trying something in particular when it comes to Software. Any clues?

My other suspicion would be that the Finger Print Sensor somehow got screwed up while my X1 Carbon got its SSD replaced.

Anything else I could try to find out? Or should I just put the thing back in its parcel and return it to the Service Center?

Thanks for any help!

someotherguy
Not applicable
Views: 1,185
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon 2016: Finger Print Reader not recognized; is it a hardware or a software issue?

Reboot and press F1 to enter BIOS Setup.  Then change to the Security -> Fingerprint page, and choose the item about "Reset Fingerprint Data".  Is it successful?

As a general rule, if resetting it in BIOS is successful, you're having a software problem.

If resetting it in BIOS results in some error (like "fingerprint sensor not found"), it's a hardware problem.

Rene-CH
Not applicable
Views: 1,151
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon 2016: Finger Print Reader not recognized; is it a hardware or a software issue?

Thanks for your reply!
I followed your advice and got "No finger print reader connected".
Oh well, I guess that settles it. My computer is going back to the Service Center. :-(

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors