Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dontpokethebear
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,153
Message 1 of 9

X1 Carbon 2017 WWAN Slot SSD compatibility

I had been reading the new review of the T470 from Notebookcheck and something caught my eye; they specifically mention more than once that the WWAN slot can be used for an SSD; http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T470-Core-i5-Full-HD-Notebook-Review.198130.0.html

"Between the WiFi module and the 2.5-inch slot is also a free M.2-2242 slot, which can either be used for a WWAN module (antennas prepared) or an SSD"

"The available storage solutions for the ThinkPad T470 are quite interesting. Inside the chassis is a 2.5-inch slot attached via PCIe x2. This slot can either be equipped with a conventional 2.5-inch hard drive (HDD or SSD, up to 7 mm high) or an M.2-SSD (2280), which is sitting in the 2.5-inch tray via adapter. It is also possible to implement another SSD in the M.2-2242 slot. Lenovo's spec sheet, for example, lists a 128 GB model or Intel's Optane solution (16 GB), which can act as cache in combination with a conventional hard drive."

I'm hesitant to assume this will apply to the new X1 since it doesn't have an option for HDD and therefore no need to configure the WWAN port to support an SSD for caching. Can anybody test/confirm this? I've read documentation on the new X1 Spec sheet and hardware maintenance and it mentions nothing about support for additional devices in the WWAN slot. I'd kill to be able to have a separate SSD for a linux install so I don't have to mess with bootloaders every time windows has a major update.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,083
Message 2 of 9

Re: X1 Carbon 2017 WWAN Slot SSD compatibility

The manuals and documentation are not yet available, but I can provide some information.  I have a 2nd gen X1 Yoga that I reviewed during the 2017 Consumer Electronics Show, where it was shown.  I understand that my machine is "final hardware, and not-final software).  The X1 Yoga is very similar to the X1 Carbon, except it has a touch screen.  I tried a 16GB M.2 SSD (FRU 04x4456) in the WWAN slot and it was not recognized.  That doesn't guarantee that it won't work, but I think it is the best information available.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
dontpokethebear
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,079
Message 3 of 9

Thanks, that's helpful knowing that I shouldn't be too excited for that feature. Such a shame that you can put an SSD in the WWAN slot of other X series, T series, and even Yogas but not the X1 Series. Doesn't make sense to me.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,043
Message 4 of 9

I am not involved with the design, and I have no inside knowledge, but I would expect that the design would be a lot more complicated and hard to implement when disks started using PCIe NVME. 

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

dontpokethebear
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,001
Message 5 of 9

It surprises me though that this functionality exists in some Thinkpads and not others. 

The HMM has been released now; from a glance, are any of my questions answered?

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x1_carbon_5th_hmm_en_sp40m11925.pdf

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,994
Message 6 of 9

Does it exist in ThinkPads that support NVME drives?

Rich

dontpokethebear
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,991
Message 7 of 9

Yeah, the T470 in my original post

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,977
Message 8 of 9

I have not seen any of the t470 series machines.  Whenever they really release a final production BIOS for my X1 Yoga, I'll post back an update.

Rich

m4ndingo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,415
Message 9 of 9

I looking forward to upgrade my X1 5th Gen as well. Does anybody has an answer whether it works with a 2242 ssd in the wwan slot?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors