Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ss256
What's DOS?
Views: 8,299
Message 1 of 7

X1 Carbon 20A7 No Sound through speakers

My X1 Carbon was working fine, but one day the sound just stopped working.  I restored my image back to the Windows 8 stock image, and still not sound.  I tried re-installing Windows 7 from scratch, still no sound.

I called into Lenovo, as the machine is only 4 months old.   The support rep said that they would do a "courtesy onsite visit exception" since this was my first warranty claim and that a lenovo tech would call me to arrange to have the machine looked at and the part swapped.  Apparently Lenovo only includes depot (ship your computer away) warranty support if you want their factory service.

After waiting a week without hearing from anyone, I called back into the helpdesk with my ticket reference number.   The guy i was speaking to this time said that there were no notes on the ticket that i gave him and that the call was closed.  He also said that Lenovo no longer gives the "first time courtesy onsite exception" and that I would have to ship the machine back and be without a computer for 2 weeks!

Good job lenovo.  You rock.  My first and last Lenovo.   Dell knows how to "DO" enterprise.  These guys do not.

Guru
Views: 8,227
Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 Carbon 20A7 No Sound through speakers

In Belgium it took 5 days to pick up my machine, repair it and get it back. But 2 weeks is still reasonable for a repair at the depot.

This will require a motherboard swap. It is possible you maybe accidentally bent the connector on the inside. I once had this exact same problem on a different laptop. It happens.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

ss256
What's DOS?
Views: 8,193
Message 3 of 7

So i've been waiting a week and I haven't even received the box from Lenovo that i need to use to ship it to them. 

"It is possible you maybe accidentally bent the connector on the inside. I once had this exact same problem on a different laptop. It happens."

I'm not sure what you are referring to.   The issue is the internal speakers - there is no connector that a user has access to that will affect the internal speakers.  

The 3.5mm headset jack still works just fine.  

truwarrior10
What's DOS?
Views: 5,734
Message 4 of 7

Any clue to what the issue was? I have the same problem with my X1. Headphone jack works fine, just can't get the internal speakers to work at all. I tested the speakers themselves and they are ok. Not sure if it would be the jack itself else motherboard.

truwarrior10
What's DOS?
Views: 5,727
Message 5 of 7

Turns out the sound was muted on the LCD above the keyboard (I guess having this muted doesn't mute the headphone jack). I also downloaded all the updates via Lenovo's System Update first to ensure every driver was updated.

gusdelacruz
What's DOS?
Views: 5,119
Message 6 of 7

Thank you for posting this! I removed and replaced drivers. I work in a 99% Dell shop so Lenovos are a foreign land. Thanks again for your solution. 

joshuajburris
What's DOS?
Views: 3,750
Message 7 of 7

truwarrior10

You finally helped me on this. Did a ton of updates and restarts, no indicator to tell me it was muted (as far as Windows goes). It was that stupid button at the top of the keyboard. Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors