cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcwilson
Paper Tape
Views: 1,064
Message 1 of 4

X1 Carbon 20A8 Adaptive keys not working after sleep and stuck in function key mode.

I have a Carbon X1 (V2) with Windows 10 Pro loaded.  I suspect it may be missing some software and/or a device driver; Device Manager doesn't seem to know about the adaptive keys.

When I start up normally, the function keys work (F1-F12) but the Fn key seems to do nothing, 
The keyboard backlight key works, none of the others appear to do anything.  

jb24
What's DOS?
Views: 361
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Carbon 20A8 Adaptive keys not working after sleep and stuck in function key mode.

I have the same issue.  I've noticed that I can flip through the FN modes before I reach the sign in screen after a reboot, but once it reaches the sign in screen the FN keys are stuck in whatever mode they happen to be on.  I have installed or updated the hotkey software, BIOS, and power management drivers.  Nothing has worked.  If there is a solution, please help.  It's pointless to have the adaptive function keys if they don't function. 

Thanks

marcwilson
Paper Tape
Views: 341
Message 3 of 4

Re: X1 Carbon 20A8 Adaptive keys not working after sleep and stuck in function key mode.

Hi.  I didn't have precisely the same symptoms: the keys would work for a while and then stop being able to change - but a reboot always cured it.  I don't use that machine any longer, so I never really got to the bottom of it.  Happy to say that for later versions, they've ditched the dynamic keys altogether (I now have a Gen 6 machine with 16GB and a 1TB SSD; it's a beast!).

jjennings2510
Paper Tape
Views: 311
Message 4 of 4

Is there anyway that you can restore the system to a point before you installed the hotkey software? Because i found out the hard way that even though the software is listed on the 2nd gen page it is for 3rd gen and up. So i experienced the same issue. Adaptive keyboard would work until I logged into Windows 10. Luckily for me i hadn't made any recent changes other than the hotkey fix so i was able to narrow it down. Unfortunately i didn't have a system restore point saved so he only extreme fix for me was to start from scratch via restore disks. Once I did that i reinstalled everything and made a system restore before I installed the hotkey fix. Sure enough the keys did the same thing. Wouldn't work in Windows. I restored back and they returned to working order. And yes I even tried uninstalling the hotkey fix but for whatever reason the adaptive keys still refused to work. So it's most likely the hotkey fox casusing you problems. Nothing you can do unfortunately. Unless you can find a way to truly uninstall the fix. Hope that helps. 

Top Kudoed Authors