Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
splitz07
Fanfold Paper
Views: 38,061
Message 1 of 26

X1 Carbon (20AX series) wifi connectivity issues

Dear Lenovo Support and all others,

I am posting this in hope that someone can help with my problem and also to share my unpleasant experience with a new Lenovo product.

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon
Model: 20A8A00VSG

Purchase date: 27th February 2014

Since the first day I purchased the system, I have been having an issue with my wireless connection:

1. I am unable to reliably get a wireless connection to wireless access points (e.g. free wifi coffee outlets or malls) and personal mobile hotspots (mobile phone hotspots). It constantly says "LIMITED CONNECTIVITY". In other words, I cannot get internet access. Even when it does connect to the network and get internet access, there is a tendency for the connection to drop back to "LIMITED CONNECTIVITY".

The only time I can get a reliable connection is when I am connected to my home wireless router. The system does not seem to have problems on home wifi networks. Since the problem seems limited to wireless access points and hotspots, I believe its a hardware/software problem.

Please note that I have other  wireless devices (laptops and mobile phones) that can connect to the same networks that I am trying to connect to and have no issues.

I have tested the networks with my friends' wireless devices as well and they have no issues accessing the internet so I am fairly certain that there is no issue with the networks themselves.

2. I have already called in twice and been given advice on both occasions but the problem still persist. I have updated all drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled and updated the BIOS for the system and also performed a system recovery but nothing has worked so far.

I have also tried disabling and/or deleting any anti-virus software and firewalls but it does not fix the problem.

I have also been advised that I need to go down to the Lenovo service center to have my laptop checked out by the technicians and that there MIGHT be a firmware upgrade for the wireless card itself.

NOTE: MIGHT? The support staff doesn't even know for sure whether there is an upgrade available.

3. Rebooting my computer, the wireless card or the hotspots does not solve the problem. It might work for a shortwhile before it reverts back to it's non working state or stops working again once I reboot the system.

I am really unhappy with the purchase so far. It's actually a good laptop per se when all is working, but without internet access, it is pretty much like a dead fish. And thats 90% of the time.

Like I said, this problem has been happening since day one and I've tolerated it long enough.

I hope someone can help me with this problem.

Thanks all.

---------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE - 3/24/2014

I borrowed an ASUS Wireless USB adapter from a friend and installed it on the laptop. Lo and behold there are no connectivity issues to my iPhone wireless hotspot.

INTEL DUAL BAND WIRELESS AC 7260 - NO CONNECTION/LIMITED ACCESS

ASUS USB N10 WIRELESS ADAPTOR - CONNECTIVITY AND INTERNET ACCESS

I think this narrows it down to the software/hardware in the computer....

orphel
Paper Tape
Views: 38,003
Message 2 of 26

Re: X1 Carbon (20AX series) wifi connectivity issues

I'd look at the Norton AV, it has some firewall settings built in.

But that's just my $0.02.

splitz07
Fanfold Paper
Views: 37,996
Message 3 of 26

I have already tried deleting the Norton AV program but it does not fix the problem.

orphel
Paper Tape
Views: 37,992
Message 4 of 26

Sorry, didn't see that. I'm working off the same model and it is working.
splitz07
Fanfold Paper
Views: 37,982
Message 5 of 26

No problem. I've tried everything support has advised and from what I have researched but to no avail.

I will be going down to the service center tomorrow. I might insist on a completely new system since I have had this problem since day one. The system is less than a month old.

Hopefully I can get a new system and hopefully there are no problems with it.

kmehling
Paper Tape
Views: 37,877
Message 6 of 26

I can verify the same with 2 brand new X1 Carbon 20A7 models. To confirm, they both have the Intel AC card and both have VERY picky fits about what WiFi AP's they will connect to and which they won't. I absolutey cannot tether off the WiFI hotspot on my iPhone 5. I've had limited/occasional success forcing the WLAN card into G-only mode via Device Manager, but this doesn't always work.

Some hotspots it has absolutely no trouble with, others exhibit the same behavior as you describe: Connect, maybe get an IP address (maybe not) and then ultimately fail to route any traffic. I suspect lousy drivers or lousy firmware.

splitz07
Fanfold Paper
Views: 37,870
Message 7 of 26

Thanks for the confirmation.

Just to let you know, I went to the service centre here and they tested the device again. No connections to iPhones hotspots on 4g. Interestingly, they managed to connect to iPhones that were on 3G. I'm assuming those were probably pre iPhone 5. and now that u mention, those 3G connections were on 802.11g not n. Also tested on my friend's galaxy s4 with no problems whatsoever.

They have escalated the matter to Lenovo HQ and asked me for my iPhone OS version and firmware version.

I'm also waiting for a 1 for 1 escalation to go through and am using USB tethering for the moment. But if it's a hardware/software issue I don't know what a new set will fix.

Will update again.

tassilo
Punch Card
Views: 37,823
Message 8 of 26

hey there,

i also have the same error with my brand 20A08 X1 Carbon. I cannot connect to a iphone 5 / iphone 5S personal hotspot. But setted up with my iPad 4 seems working. Strange behaviour.

connecting to a free airport wlan hotspot or a  telekom hotspot is working.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 37,812
Message 9 of 26

Hi, all

there is an issue bugged driver or even card firmware related. Intel confirmed that. Wait some time for the new release.

For the test purpose only disable 2,4 ghz band support and switch to 5 ghz. N-band seems unstable so switch to G-band. As the Linux users report the same issue it's firmware bug basically.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 37,788
Message 10 of 26

tassilo,

did my advice resolve your issue?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors