Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SKI00865
What's DOS?
Views: 8,838
Message 21 of 26

Re: X1 Carbon (20AX series) wifi connectivity issues

I have very similar issues with a 20A7 model running Windows 8.1 64-bit.

I have been in contact with Intel support and thought it might be useful for others to share some observations here.

Intel pointed me to a newer Lenovo Wireless driver.  

The driver is ThinkPad X1 Carbon Type 20A7 20A8- version 17.12.0, 9/19/2014

http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-...

For some reason this driver does not seem to be detected by running the Lenovo System Update application.

Generally I have found the WiFi to be very unreliable with this laptop. The laptop was used mostly on a wired LAN for the first few weeks. If I had noticed the Wifi problems soon enough I would have returned it for a refund and bought a replacement from another manufacturer.

However I have noticed two things that can improve the WiFi stability:

1. In the Advanced tab under the driver settings, restrict the wireless mode to 802.11/b.

2. Switch bluetooth OFF (in Windows 8.1 device settings)

Both of these things improve the situation to some extent although the WiFi behaviour is still not completely reliable.

Both of the above steps obviously degrade the functionality of the laptop. It is not acceptable on a high-spec and very expensive laptop to have to resort to these compromises to achieve a partially functional product. I will not buy another lenovo.

JC725
What's DOS?
Views: 8,560
Message 22 of 26

I have resolved my issue by having Lenovo Access Connection manage the wireless profile.

Open up the Lenovo Access Connection from Lenovo PC Experience --> Lenovo Tools --> Internet Connections.

Switch to "Advanced" then delete windows managed wireless profile. Create new profile.

I also updated intel wireless device driver to latest version.

amcai
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,079
Message 23 of 26

Hello,

I had those problems too, but I went to a technician and I do not know exactly what he did but it worked. I do not know if the two problems are connected, but since I got it back, I am experiencing somes updates regarding wireless and Bluetooth updates.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X Carbon 20A7 and use Windows 7* 64-bit.

One of the update problems is a Bluetooth update called: Intel Bluetooth Device Software – Initial Install – 7 [64] from the System Update Lenovo. Every time it says that the installation was successful, but when I reboot my computer (as asked to complete the installation) the Lenovo System Update says I still have to download this same Bluetooth update as if it was never installed. (So now my computer can't find nor connect to my Bluetooth devices such as my Bluetooth headphones.)

So I installed the Intel Driver Update Utility (of Intel) and tried to download their updates. After scanning my computer, the program said:

Grafics: A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver.”

Wireless: install the update: Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers (Windows*7/8/8.1, 64-bit)

Bluetooth: install the update: Intel PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth technology for Windows 7* 64-bit

So, every time I tried to install those two updates of Intel (wireless and Bluetooth) the same problem happens – when I reboot my computer (as asked to complete the installation) the Intel Driver Update Utility says I still have to download those same two updates as if they were never installed.

Can someone tell me how can I install them for good so that I can use my Bluetooth?

Many thanks‼

Amélie

P.s This isn't related and is a little silly but I can't seem to find on this website how to create a new tag. This is why I am responding to this one. I apologize for this, but if someone can tell me where, I would be very thankful. Smiley Happy

LouCetrangelo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,036
Message 24 of 26

Three weeks ago I purchased a new X1 Carbon Touch model 20A7.   Originally it had excellent connectivity.   I installed over a Gb of Windows 8.1 updates and all the latest Lenovo drivers without a hitch.  Then I installed all my favorite programs.  I wasn’t crazy about the touch point operation that I use used to on the older W530 so I added a Bluetooth mouse.   This is the type that does not need a dongle but uses the Bluetooth radio in the computer to save USB ports (Logitech M557).

Right after that I began having problems with my Wi-Fi from slow access, Limited Connectivity and no access at all.  While in the same room as my router the signal strength went from one bar to 5 and everything in-between.  I have three other Lenovo laptops in my home and they all have excellent connectivity.   I tried changing drivers, playing with the Wi-Fi settings but could not resolve the issue.   It was basically unusable on Wi-Fi.  Using an Ethernet cable was fine.

Since the Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-7260 card supports both the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth I tried un-pairing my Bluetooth mouse.   Once it was un-paired there were no more connectivity issues.  It is 100% solid. 

I checked with Logitech to see if it was some compatibility issue they had me on the phone for over an hour pairing and un-pairing and each time I paired the internet went south and came back when it was un-paired.   I tried the mouse on my other Lenovo’s and no problem.   I also tried to pair a set of Bluetooth ear buds on the X1 Carbon and lost connectivity again.  

After calling Lenovo tech support they are sending me a box tomorrow so I can ship it back to the depot.  The plan is to replace the wireless board.   I’ll let you know how I make out.

Best regards

Lou

LouCetrangelo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,981
Message 25 of 26

Two days later my X1 Carbon was shipped back and it is now working perfectly along with my Bluetooth mouse.   The repair summary says:

Symptom: Network Card Error

Part Description: Wireless network Card

Evidently the wireless network card was replaces which fixed my problem.

Thank you Lenovo.

smuvva
What's DOS?
Views: 277
Message 26 of 26

For me disabling bluetooth solved the problem.

Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors