02-15-2010

US

99 Signins

771 Page Views

• Views: 771
  • Message 1 of 4

X1 Carbon (20FB) Display issues -- flickering and/or garbage video

2016-08-23, 18:50 PM

We've got about 2 dozen of the 4th gen x1 carbons, machine type 20FB, and have had a high number of display related issues with them.  At the moment, we have 3 sitting upstairs waiting for UPS to pick up for shipment to lenovo service, and one more on my desk that was just acting up.  I'm told that we have previously sent in at least another 3 or 4 laptops for similar issues.  I understand that those previous laptops had the displays replaced, and that we have yet to see a recurrence of the issues in one that has been repaired.

The problems we've seen are intermittent, and generally fall into one of two categories:

• Flickering
  • Video garbled, missing sections, or complete garbage.  

The flickering is sometimes very faint, barely noticable, but other times it's more pronounced, bad enough that users complain of headaches and/or "it's going to cause seizures!"

The garbage video issue is what I just saw with the laptop sitting on my desk.  It went to sleep, and when I woke it up, this was what I saw:

After a few moments, the laptop rebooted on it's own and the display was back to normal, but I don't want to send this out with a user now just to get a support call when it happens again.

Is anyone else having this sort of issue?  Or did we just particularly unlucky?

Options

66 Posts

02-15-2010

US

99 Signins

771 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Carbon (20FB) Display issues -- flickering and/or garbage video

2016-08-29, 14:25 PM

*Bump* 

I take it this must not be an issue that others have run into with this model?

Options

66 Posts

02-15-2010

US

99 Signins

771 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2016-08-31, 12:34 PM

I received 2 laptops back from service yesterday that were sent in for the flickering issue.  One had the display replaced, while the other had both the display and system board replaced. 

The one that had only the display replaced came up ok initially, but as we were re-imaging the computer a short while later it locked up and had a vertical green line about 2-3" from the left edge of the screen.  I power cycled the computer, and the green line is still there, even when using the setup and lenovo diagnostics tools.  Looks like it's going back to service again.  :(

Options

1 Posts

09-06-2016

US

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 4 of 4

2016-09-06, 11:35 AM

I have the 4th gen Carbon X1 with the same display issues. If docked, it will revert to the external monitor only, and when undocked it flashes. Lenovo has replaced the system board three times and the display once. That seems to fix the issue briefly, anywhere from a week to several weeks; before the issue returns. I am beginning to wonder if Lenovo has a heat issue that is causing the issue.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save