cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X1Carb
Paper Tape
Views: 2,105
Message 1 of 9

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen - 2100 detection error on ssd0 (M.2)

Hello,

I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (Type 20A7) and after 14 months of use now, I got the error "2100 detection error on ssd0 (M.2)".

I saw different topics about that kind of error and Lenovo really disappointed me -_- (they were different years I wasn't purchasing Lenovo anymore and this has been a sad welcome back).

I saw some solutions about the Lenovo X1 Carbon 1st Gen, but I didn't find anything about how to fix it on the 2nd Gen. I read this https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht082504 and I would like to know it there is a way to manually install that firmware without have access to the operating system.

I was running Debian 8 on my laptop when that error occurred and I have bunch of important data that I need to recover!

I know, it's bad not have a backup and I usually do it, but I never had any problem with any HDD/SSD on all the laptops I had (a lot) and being that an expensive laptop, I couldn't imagine that was gonna happen (and just after 14 months of use).

I tried running a live GNU/Linux distro to check if it was able so see the SSD to make a backup, but nothing...I put the SSD in a SATA adapter, connected to different laptops running Windows 7, but nothing. I really hope the SSD is not dead at all.

Anyone able to help me? Both about to fix that error and have my system back or recover my data from the SSD that is not recognized/seen on any system.

Thanks!

p.s: the SSD is a MZNTD512HAGL-000L1

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,077
Message 2 of 9

Re: X1 Carbon 2nd Gen - 2100 detection error on ssd0 (M.2)

Hi and welcome, X1Carb

Yuu've linked the proper page regarding issue.
Another ones, with details (note, fw package has different file name, I can't confirm whether its content differs from the page in your post):
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-...

There is readme file.

I searched on the Samsung support site information about the recent fw available, but faced a bit difficulties.

Regarding the fw update on the system w/o Windows installed I have the only suggestion to use bootable media like LiveUSB, Windows To Go, WinPE 5.0. Probably fw update tool will work.

I'm worry you weren't able to connect SSD to the external laptop. I hope you didn't perform to boot that laptop from current Samsung SSD. Perhaps there was some incompatibility between BIOS, adapter, SSD fw, drivers.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

X1Carb
Paper Tape
Views: 2,070
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for your reply!

No, I didn't perform to boot the other laptop from the X1 Carbon Samsung SSD. I put the X1 Carbon Samsung SSD in a SATA reader, then connected it to different laptops running WIndows and GNU/Linux, but in both of cases the SSD wasn't seen.

I updated few ago the BIOS to the last version (using the ISO image), but nothing changed.

Talking about that fw update, it's not clear to me where it get installed (on the SSD or where else?). Because in case the fw needs to be installed on the SSD, I think it would be useless install it via a live OS (the SSD wouldn't be accessible anyway, so...).
I will give it a try anyway.

I'm seriously considering to "cook" the SSD as last chance. It would be amazing if it would work again also just for a couple of hours to perform a backup.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,064
Message 4 of 9

Is that SATA reader m.2 drive compatible? I hope it looks like m.2 to SATA adapter. How did you connect it to another laptop, for test?

SSD fw is stored in its dedicated NVRAM/EEPROM, no matter. It is like BIOS/EC image in the laptop.

To update the fw laptop/PC should recognize it, either in the m.2 slot or m.2 adapter (I hope). Update tool has its own instructions, logic to recognize the drive. So, do it.

I'd like to suggest you to perform a "magic" trick as your drive stopped to work suddenly after 14 months of the proper work.
You can't believe me but possible cause of issue might be ... a bit corroded metallic surface of the connector pins, either on the drive or in the laptop. There are several cases with confirmation of this cause on the forum and another sites.

To troubleshoot it's enough to clean carefully the connectors pins using hi-quality isopropyl alcohol. Also clean the drive surface. As you disassembled laptop and removed the drive, you have enough skills to do it.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

X1Carb
Paper Tape
Views: 2,051
Message 5 of 9

Yes, that's a SATA reader/adapter M.2 compatible. I connected it to other laptops using a cable SATA to USB.

So, as I was supposing, it would be usless try to update the fw if the SSD is not recognized...

I can believe you, I'm experienced enough with electronic devices. Just it shouldn't happen on a >$2000 laptop in so short time and when you treated it in the best way possible (I use my laptops for working, so I treat them extremely good, in fact my X1 Carbon is exactly like new yet).

I will try all those kind of stuff after I will be done with all the software solution ways.

Thanks for your support!

X1Carb
Paper Tape
Views: 2,028
Message 6 of 9

Tried with Windows To Go, but as it was supposed the SSD doesn't get recognized, so the fw can't be installed.

Tried to clean the connectors pins first, the whole SSD then with isopropyl alcohol (91%), but nothing changed :-(

I suppose the last chance is trying to "cook" the SSD.
I can't believe it's really totally dead eventually!

p.s.: Is it possible tere isn't a way to flash the fw in an alternative method? For example integrating it with a bios update...I seen during the bios update that even the adaptive keyboad was installed/flashed. Would it be possible to do the same with the SSD fw?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,018
Message 7 of 9

BIOS/UEFI image and SSD fw differ completely - both their placement and flash tools. It's impossible to integrate their flashing processes and images.

Did you launch SSD fw tool under Windows-To-Go, even though the system didn't recognize the drive? Was that laptop (with Windows-To-Go) your x1c or another one, with m.2->sata udapter and USB port connection?

I'm sure, there are methods to reflash SSD fw using special hw and sw tools. Probably Samsung service providers have such tools.

BTW, what's is the BIOS version in the x1c?

X1Carb
Paper Tape
Views: 2,008
Message 8 of 9

Yes, I launched SSD fw tool under Windows To Go even though the system didn't recognize the drive (no drive detected). I tried with Windows To Go on the X1 Carbon and the SSD left inside first, connected via M.2 to SATA then...I did the same on another laptop as well. I didn't get anything in all of cases.

The actual BIOS version is the 1.22 (EC 1.17). I flashed it just a couple of days ago (as reported above in another post) hoping it was gonna fix the problem.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,004
Message 9 of 9

Badly...

As I understand, neither in the x1c nor in another laptop, in the slot installed or to the USB port connected, the drive remains unrecognized in the BIOS setup.

Seems the disk is dead, at least for enduser capabilities. Probably special tools I mentioned might revive it.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors