cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnny770
Paper Tape
Views: 535
Message 1 of 5

X1 Carbon 2nd gen -- motherboard replace or buy 7th gen?

I'm in need of advice.

I have an X1 Carbon 2nd gen with a motherboard that just died last week quite suddenly. I use the laptop for my personal machine and small business and it's been great for me up until this. It's no longer booting and I got a quote from Lenovo service to have the motherboard replaced for €720 (about $800). It mentions "planar replacement 00UP983". It was purchased in 2015 and is the 20A8 model (i7-4600U(3.3GHz),8GB RAM,256GB Solid State Drive,14in 2560x1440 Touchscreen LCD,Intel HD Graphics,Intel 802.11agn wireless,WWAN,Camera,8c Li-Ion,Win8.1 Pro 64) 

In the meantime I just purchased an ASUS ZenBook UX480FD, which is going back to the store to be returned. Hate it. Despite it being quite loaded with nice modern specs, it runs extremely hot, it's heavy, it's thick and bulky feeling and the last straw was that I"m getting blue screen errors and sudden reboots to BIOS even after fresh Windows 10 installs. Reminds me of my old desktop from the late 1990s. It's made me realize I want an X1 Carbon again whether it's having my current one serviced or picking up the new 7th gen or last year's 6th gen.

My question is would it be worth having the motherboard replaced by official Lenovo service for the price quote I received? I would plan on still using my X1 Carbon 2nd gen as my go-to machine for at least another 2 years and I assume it would still work for much longer than that. Thanks for any advice.

SeniorGuru
Views: 485
Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Carbon 2nd gen -- motherboard replace or buy 7th gen?

Welcome to the forum.

Considering that the X1C2 is now a fairly old model and the cost of replacing the motherboard is more than the cost of a second-hand X1Cn on sites like eBay, I would be inclined to buy a used X1Cn. For $800 you should be able to get a newer generation, n > 2.

If you are able to service the system yourself or have a colleague who can do it, you might want to look for used motherboards on eBay, e.g. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 2 Series Motherboard Intel I7-4600u 00UP983 for sale online | eBay.

Punch Card
Views: 475
Message 3 of 5

don't even think twice. that was a terrible model and the motherboard isn't even worth $100 to me. spend $500 and you can buy a far newer unit.

SeniorGuru
Views: 471
Message 4 of 5

@bobbysteel wrote:

that was a terrible model

As a notebook, I agree. The buttonless TrackPoint and Adaptive Keyboard leave much to be desired. That's why mine is now being used by a family member as a desktop-replacement with external keyboard and mouse. In that usage the performance is perfectly fine. I expect that X1C2 to last several more years.

I do agree, however, if I had to replace it I'd look for an X1C3 or X1C4 rather than buy another X1C2.

Paper Tape
Views: 459
Message 5 of 5

Both great points, thank you guys.

While this morning I was leaning toward having it repaired, both your comments have me rethinking. and yeah the hefty mobo price was bothering me for such an old machine even though it was still working great for me up until the motherboard went dead.

I'm now leaning toward picking up a new X1 Carbon and now potentially even repairing my gen 2 on my own to use as an extra machine. I'm tech savy enough that I used to build my own PCs back in the 90s and early 2000s although I've never done a laptop. Figure I order one of the new ebay motherboards hausman linked and give it a try by following a teardown tutorial/video.

Off topic, but I need to get access to the data on the hard drive from the X1 Carbon 2nd gen. If one of you or someone can point me to a specific external case or something else for me to be able to pull the data from it, I'd appreciate it.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors