04-12-2018 05:25 PM
I cannot get my X1 Carbon to boot it's baffling me. I have three motherboards I can try the same thing with. I am almost certain is has to do with the CMOS battery.
- Laptop Flashes Three Lights on Logo (Unless I unplug/replug the CMOS battery)
- If I unplug/plugin the CMOS, I can get the keyboard to light up then it shuts off.
- The fan does not spin because it does not startup.
- I used to get a 3 error beep code on one motherboard, however this had to do with the screen which I replaced and it fixed the beep.
- I get no error beep codes.
- Pressing the CMOS reset button doesn't seem to do anything (Top right, very small near hinge)
- Unplugging the CMOS battery, Putting the AC in, and Pressing power lights up the keyboard for a moment. Replugging the CMOS battery back in seems to disable everything.
- Pressing the Reset (Mid-left) usually where a pin goes.
- Flushing out static with battery/adapter removed by holding power.
- Switching the battery to ac, both, and none with everything above.
- Tried with some components unplugged, it doesn't matter -- none of them nor all of them unplugged do anything.
I have search many places and I have never had this happen, it can't be possible that I have three bad motherboards. In fact, two of them were factory tested as working. Could it be my power switch? If it was, why would I get the red flashing lights?
Does anyone have any idea what I should try?
Solved! Go to Solution.
04-15-2018 02:00 PM
When you unplugged the CMOS battery, did you also disconnect the main battery? A shorted screen can cause the symptoms. I would believe a bad screen before 3 bad motherboards.
07-11-2018 10:05 PM
Yes sir, thank you for replying. I have 2 screens also, I just don't know -- it's one plug. Everything works, even plugging the MiniDP into another screen. I used to get a very bright white glow on the back of the screen (outside of casing) When booting.
Here's an image of the input for the LCD screen:
Then, the two monitors with the same plugs:
10-12-2019 05:04 PM
i have the same problem
i got my x1 carbon from second hand shop and everything worked perfectly
was setting up stuff and after 6h i got a bluescreen and since then it is unable to boot
got multiple states of blinking keyboard/powerbutton and the fan turned on in same rate as keyboard
first in a 1 sec on/off rythm
then later in a 3 sec fadeing
at some point the keyboard flashed once together with the fan and then stayed off while the powerbutton stayed on
i opened it up and found this:
1. fan and keyboard do allways the same, if keyboard ligths up fan turns
2. if the powerbutton is on the speakers are on
3. the procesor is doing stuff since it is heating up but it gets only warm (still can touch the cooling element)
4. i didnt smell and burn, i didnt saw any corrosion i didnt inspected it on detail however
5. screen allways stayed black and didnt show any sign of beeing powered
6. no button pressing creats any reaction (besides powerbutton)
i didnt found anything besides this post for this issue
second gen had this problem due to motherboad issues but they fixed it during second gen
10-12-2019 05:39 PM
Have you tried no main battery? Shorted battery causes strange results
10-13-2019 06:24 PM
What is 4 character machine type (first 4 of model)?
10-13-2019 08:46 PM
not exactly sure what you mean with maschine
there is one labeled MTM and first 4 chafacters would be: 20BT
is that what you were asking for?
other codes i see are the MAC adress or the serial