cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imboyus
What's DOS?
Views: 351
Message 1 of 3

X1 Carbon 3rd Will Not Boot - I have 3 motherboards & None Work?

I cannot get my X1 Carbon to boot it's baffling me.  I have three motherboards I can try the same thing with. I am almost certain is has to do with the CMOS battery. 

Symptoms:

- Laptop Flashes Three Lights on Logo (Unless I unplug/replug the CMOS battery)

- If I unplug/plugin the CMOS, I can get the keyboard to light up then it shuts off.

- The fan does not spin because it does not startup.

- I used to get a 3 error beep code on one motherboard, however this had to do with the screen which I replaced and it fixed the beep.

- I  get no error beep codes.

Tried:

- Pressing the CMOS reset button doesn't seem to do anything (Top right, very small near hinge)

- Unplugging the CMOS battery, Putting the AC in, and Pressing power lights up the keyboard for a moment. Replugging the CMOS battery back in seems to disable everything.

- Pressing the Reset (Mid-left) usually where a pin goes.

- Flushing out static with battery/adapter removed by holding power.

- Switching the battery to ac, both, and none with everything above.

- Tried with some components unplugged, it doesn't matter -- none of them nor all of them unplugged do anything.

I have search many places and I have never had this happen, it can't be possible that I have three bad motherboards. In fact, two of them were factory tested as working. Could it be my power switch? If it was, why would I get the red flashing lights?

Does anyone have any idea what I should try?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 281
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon 3rd Will Not Boot - I have 3 motherboards & None Work?

When you unplugged the CMOS battery, did you also disconnect the main battery?  A shorted screen can cause the symptoms.  I would believe a bad screen before 3 bad motherboards.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
imboyus
What's DOS?
Views: 208
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon 3rd Will Not Boot - I have 3 motherboards & None Work?

Yes sir, thank you for replying. I have 2 screens also, I just don't know -- it's one plug. Everything works, even plugging the MiniDP into another screen. I used to get a very bright white glow on the back of the screen (outside of casing) When booting.

Here's an image of the input for the LCD screen:

20180702_181658.jpg

Then, the two monitors with the same plugs:

20180702_181728.jpg20180702_181740.jpg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors