Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dazwenn
Paper Tape
Views: 473
Message 1 of 6

X1 Carbon 3rd gen Battery Issue

Hey everyone,

some days ago i recognise that my battery isn't charging, staying at 22%. So i ask a colleague to try another power outlet. He pulled the plug out and my laptop shuts down immediatly. Trying to start my laptop  -> nothing happens. reconnect the AC-Adappter it turns on and everything works, except my battery stays at 22%, with state: Charging. After some researching for similar issues, i was pretty sure i need a new battery. Bought one from ebay and replaced my old one. Starting with AC-Adapter, the new one getting recognised, showing vendor, model,  state: Charging, etc... But battery level stays at 0% and laptop won't work without AC connection. 

Also tried another AC-Adapter - nothing changed.

Some tips?

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 439
Message 2 of 6

Re: X1 Carbon 3rd gen Battery Issue

Welcome to the Community

I can't say anything with sureness about old battery as there isn't enough information about its status except of current charging level.

Regarding the new battery the issue might be caused by non Lenovo genuiness battery. Such batteries, in most cases, aren't able to be charged in Lenovo laptops since almost all ThinkPads have a feature - HW Authentication of the battery to prevent of using non genuine batteries.

So, in order to understand the case more clear, could you provide the battery surface photo and what the laptop (Lenovo Vantage) says about new battery?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Dazwenn
Paper Tape
Views: 426
Message 3 of 6

Using a Linux distro without Vantage, but i hope this is enough info:

> cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/uevent 
POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=BAT0
POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Unknown
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_TECHNOLOGY=Li-poly
POWER_SUPPLY_CYCLE_COUNT=0
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_MIN_DESIGN=15200000
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=5131000
POWER_SUPPLY_POWER_NOW=0
POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_FULL_DESIGN=50080000
POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_FULL=51850000
POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_NOW=0
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=0
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY_LEVEL=Critical
POWER_SUPPLY_MODEL_NAME=00HW003
POWER_SUPPLY_MANUFACTURER=SMP
POWER_SUPPLY_SERIAL_NUMBER= 2273

Thank You!

image.png

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 422
Message 4 of 6

Unfortunately, not all symbols on the bar-code sticker are visible. If the last ones under the bar-code are 2015.06, that's enough information.

By the 1st view the battery looks like genuine. But new proper, genuine Lenovo battery can't have zero charge level. Zero charging cycle count might mean the battery hasn't been charged for more than 80%. Anyway, the batteries are shipped charged at least for a half. Even if this battery is Lenovo genuine, it's damaged.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Dazwenn
Paper Tape
Views: 397
Message 5 of 6

Last digits are 2015.06. Do you have some advice where to buy a new battery?

Thanks a lot

Dazwenn

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 385
Message 6 of 6

I'm not sure I have a right to advice 3rd party resource and not genuine part but since Lenovo official parts store doesn't work presently by unknown reason (https://lenovo.encompass.com) and the accessories stores don't offer the batteries for your laptop (https://shop.lenovo.com, https://accessorysmartfind.lenovo.com), below is a link on ali for 3rd party, not genuine but good battery, applicable to x1c gen3. It's a manufacturer's shop. Of course, I'm not affiliated with this seller, it's your own risk
https://aliexpress.com/item/32868469939.html

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors