cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redball
Paper Tape
Views: 574
Message 1 of 3

X1 Carbon 3rd gen won't boot. Motherboard issue?

Hi,

Just one year and having so many issues. I put it to sleep, wasn't turning back on so turned off via power button. But now when I press power button, keyboard backlight comes on and goes off. The power button light stays on though. No fan or any other noise.. just power button light stays on. Hole reset didn't do anything nor did AC plug.

Guessing have to send in for motherboard fix? Unless any of you great folks can advise further. Smiley Sad(

My concern is I have an encrypted 512gb pci e SSD. I don't want to send it away. Will I be able to keep it and will it get replaced if board change is required?

TPM chip will change with board change, right?

Many many thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 572
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon 3rd gen won't boot. Motherboard issue?

Easy question first - TPM chip is part of the motherboard.  How is it encrypted?  Hardware?  Bitlocker?  ATA password?

Sounds like you need servicce. You can pull out the drive before sending it in for service or you can check the box not to re-image.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
redball
Paper Tape
Views: 566
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon 3rd gen won't boot. Motherboard issue?

@richk wrote:

Easy question first - TPM chip is part of the motherboard.  How is it encrypted?  Hardware?  Bitlocker?  ATA password?

Sounds like you need servicce. You can pull out the drive before sending it in for service or you can check the box not to re-image.

Thanks for the reply.

It is Bitlocker. If I keep the drive, will it create any issues with the new board? Or I can just enter my key on boot and it'll load up my OS as if nothing happened?

I really do hope I can bring it to life without service though. Have work to do and it'll probably take weeks before it's fixed. Maybe I can't really choose in this position....

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors