Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhm115
Paper Tape
Views: 1,091
Message 1 of 8

X1 Carbon 3rd generation SSD adapter?

My Carbon X1 3rd generation laptop has died. The support technician can't seem to fix it (despite trying two new motherboards). I need to get my files off the SSD (see photo), it is a Toshiba 256GB THNSFJ256GDNU. Does anyone know where I can get an adapter or something that I can use to retrieve my files?  Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,086
Message 2 of 8

Re: X1 Carbon 3rd generation SSD adapter?

I use something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-to-M-2-NGFF-PCI-E-SSD-Converter-Adapter-Enclosure-Case-B-M-B-M-Key-D...

I am not recommending a particular seller or product.  There are many similar products and sellers

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jhm115
Paper Tape
Views: 1,023
Message 3 of 8

Thanks so much.  I ordered that from ebay but coming from China it says it will take a month to arrive. I need my files back ASAP.  Can you tell me exactly what I need to search for in order that I can find one in the U.S. (such as on Amazon) that will work? Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,012
Message 4 of 8

80mm long.  "B and M key"

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jhm115
Paper Tape
Views: 991
Message 5 of 8

In case anyone has the same issue, I ordered the following and it worked great:

Sabrent M.2 SSD to 2.5-Inch SATA III Aluminum Enclosure Adapter (EC-M2SA)

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-Inch-Aluminum-Enclosure-EC-M2SA/dp/B01N6PMZLW

Rajsek
What's DOS?
Views: 750
Message 6 of 8

Hi All,

I have 3rd generation Lenovo X1 Cabon and its crashed some reason.. I got this enclosure.. but didnt work due to some M Key issues.. I have SM951  PCIe AHCI MZHPV512HDGL-000L1 SSD card, attached SSD picture for more details. Highly appreciate if any one suggest compatible SATA/USB adapter for this SSD.  Thx

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 742
Message 7 of 8

To date as far as I know there is no PCIe/USB adapter.  The adapter referenced above is for a SATA SSD.

There are adapter cards that can be used in a desktop if you care to go that way.

You could also try booting a live Linux distro on USB and see if your hardware is healthy enough for you to extract the data with the SSD in place.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Rajsek
What's DOS?
Views: 690
Message 8 of 8

Thanks so much Z.. Hardware is good and after so much of trails, we got it booted.. but unfortunately its out of my org domain and we dont have local logins.. Unix Distro is one option, am yet to try. However i got one PCIe to SAS to SATA which again didnt work. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors