01-31-2017

US

18 Signins

139 Page Views

• Views: 139
  • Message 1 of 7

X1 Carbon 4th Gen-Black screen hang on sleep

2017-01-31, 23:00 PM

When 4th gen tries to go to sleep, the power light stays green, along with other lights like mic and mute. Display stays black and keyboard/input is locked up until I hard turn off the laptop by holding power button down (black screen hang). I think it started after the firmware for intel management engine was updated to 11.0.18.1002 but I can't downgrade it now. I tried uninstalling and downgrading drivers, but doesn't work. What eventually kind of works (for now, at least), is to downgrade the bios to 1.19 here: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1fuj13w.exe

What's also weird is that the intel ME firmware was supposed to fix these symptoms but instead caused them for me (I believe);

<11.0.18.1002>(N1CRG38W)
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system might encounter a black screen hang
        during power cycles.- (Fix) Fixed a number of security issues.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the ME might crash when resuming from sleep.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system might hang after boot from G3 power
        state.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where exit from shutdown power state after an
        unconditional power sequence might be misreported as an exit from sleep
        state and skip a security function and cause corruption in the BIOS.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the Bitlocker recovery screen appears when booting
        a Bitlocker-enabled system with the AC adapter connected.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the AMT WebUI is not accessible via Wireless AMT
        after shutting down in CM0-Power Gating state
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where a KVM/SOL session may be lost when returning to HX
        power state.

I think it's similiar to symptoms here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Lenovo-X1-carbon-20FC-sleep-mode-shut-down-is...

And may be related to these threads:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/tp06_en/thread-id/5251/page/2

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/thinkpad-yoga-is-not-response-to-power-...

Options

5 Posts

01-31-2017

US

18 Signins

139 Page Views

• Views: 139
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 Carbon 4th Gen-Black screen hang on sleep

2017-02-01, 1:36 AM
Spoke too soon, rolling back bios fw didn't help. Anyone else with similar probs?
Options

9 Posts

06-06-2017

US

12 Signins

142 Page Views

• Views: 142
  • Message 3 of 7

2017-06-06, 20:30 PM
We are having, what sounds like, the same issue with our X1 Carbon Gen 4 laptops. Did you ever find a cause, or even better, a solution to the "black screen" issue other then a hard restart?

We've updated all drivers using Lenovo System Update and still have the issue.
Options

522 Posts

10-09-2015

US

910 Signins

22056 Page Views

• Views: 22056
  • Message 4 of 7

2017-11-13, 17:50 PM

wrote:
We are having, what sounds like, the same issue with our X1 Carbon Gen 4 laptops. Did you ever find a cause, or even better, a solution to the "black screen" issue other then a hard restart?

We've updated all drivers using Lenovo System Update and still have the issue.

I'm also having this same issue (as well as when performing a restart) with my X1 Carbon 4th Generation as well.

Did you also ever get the problem resolved, or find an answer?

Sent via Pixie Dust from Somewhere over Never, Neverland...
Options

112 Posts

02-04-2015

CA

163 Signins

2469 Page Views

• Views: 2469
  • Message 5 of 7

2017-11-15, 17:21 PM

Hi @princess_pooh,

Take a look at the following thread about this issue, which has a lot of user discussion about the topic:

"X1 Carbon, X1 Yoga do not wake up after sleep mode -- issue continues across thinkpad generations"

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-X1-Yoga-do-not-wake-up-after-sleep-mode-issue/td-p/3709271

Unfortunately, Lenovo staff continue to ignore the topic, but several users have posted different workarounds to the problem in that thread (although the actual cause seems some internal driver issue that is not solved). Hopefully one of those may help you -- some are rather extreme, while others potentially more simple if it works for you (e.g. the most recent workaround). Please do make a reply if a particular solution ends up working for you.

Good luck!

Options

522 Posts

10-09-2015

US

910 Signins

22056 Page Views

• Views: 22056
  • Message 6 of 7

2017-11-15, 18:33 PM

wrote:

Hi @princess_pooh,

Take a look at the following thread about this issue, which has a lot of user discussion about the topic:

"X1 Carbon, X1 Yoga do not wake up after sleep mode -- issue continues across thinkpad generations"

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-X1-Yoga-do-not-wake-up-after-sleep-mode-issue/td-p/3709271

Unfortunately, Lenovo staff continue to ignore the topic, but several users have posted different workarounds to the problem in that thread (although the actual cause seems some internal driver issue that is not solved). Hopefully one of those may help you -- some are rather extreme, while others potentially more simple if it works for you (e.g. the most recent workaround). Please do make a reply if a particular solution ends up working for you.

Good luck!

Thank you, lenanto, for your reply.

I've actually visited those threads, and have Googled all over the internet... rolling back drivers, et al. Still no joy. :(

I'll post back if I find the magic solution...

Thanks again for your response; much appreciated.

Sent via Pixie Dust from Somewhere over Never, Neverland...
Options

2 Posts

07-28-2018

GB

2 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 7 of 7

2018-07-28, 18:22 PM

Suffered with this problem for a while, but it looks like they recently released firmware for the Intel Management Engine (11.8.55.3510) on 20-JUL-2018 which fixed the issue for me! The automatic driver update utility didn't pick it up for me, but I manually downloaded and installed it from the Lenovo drivers page.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete