Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KS17
Paper Tape
Views: 1,261
Message 1 of 11

X1 Carbon (4th) WMI Proivder Host

Over the past week, I had noticed 100% uptime on the "WMI Provider Host" Windows service, ranging from 1-5% CPU utilization. I already had gone through several Googled tutorials on what could be the problem, and nothing was resolving my issue. The official Microsoft help file asks you to take a log and upload it to them for diagnostics, which I'm sure takes months. Long story short, I factory restored the computer to escape this, and the service was seemingly fine -until- as part of the normal setup process, I ran the Lenovo Companion to complete the firmware updates. Ever since these updates, the troubled process is back and again utilizing CPU resources 100% of the time. 

Has anyone else noticed this process utilizing excessive CPU since running a firmware update? If so, has anyone resolved and/or determined the specific culprit? 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,242
Message 2 of 11

Re: X1 Carbon (4th) WMI Proivder Host

There are some other threads about this, it seems to have something to do with a recent driver update for the Synaptics Pointing Device.  This driver update might come from Lenovo Companion or from Windows Update.  You could try rolling back the driver to the previous version, the last known version without this problem is 19.3.4.67.  We are investigating why the latest driver is causing this behavior but we don't have a fix yet.  Sorry for this trouble.

KS17
Paper Tape
Views: 1,225
Message 3 of 11

Thank you for the response. I did roll back the driver, as suggested and WMI went away. I do now notice, however, there is a Synaptics background process that I don't recongize from before this driver update. Is there anywhere on the Lenvo website that hosts older versions of the driver to download? 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,220
Message 4 of 11

Can you tell me the details of the background process you are referring to?  Is it SynTpEnh.exe or something else?

As for where to download older version of the driver (19.3.4.67):

readme:  https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1cgr11w.txt

package:  https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1cgr11w.exe

If you want to go back even older, change 11 to 10, 09, 08, etc in those links above.  Hope that makes sense.

KS17
Paper Tape
Views: 1,215
Message 5 of 11

I was able to install the prior version with that link, thanks. 

Yes, the process I am refering to is SynTPEnh. After I had simply rolled back the other driver it had looked it it was having some issues, but appears to be better now with an actual driver install. 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,196
Message 6 of 11

SynTpEnh.exe is a component of the driver (you can confirm this in Device Manager) and has been for as long as I can remember.  I don't know all of the details about what this EXE does but it is normal for this process to be running all the time.  What's not normal is if it is constantly consuming CPU or causing the WMI provider host to do so.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,161
Message 7 of 11

I heard that the next version of the driver will stop using WMI interface, so this problem will be solved.  The release date of the next version is not clear yet, but I'm hoping to get a pre-release version that I can share by July 7.

KS17
Paper Tape
Views: 1,134
Message 8 of 11

I do recall seeing the SynTpEnh service in use prior, but I hadn't recalled it using as much CPU time as it is now (~1% while using the trackpad.) I probably am just noticing it now that I've been on the lookout since WMI went rogue.
MVKNJ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,090
Message 9 of 11

I am experiencing this too on my X1 Yoga 2nd Gen laptop.  I downloaded the latest Synaptics UltraNav Driver V.19.3.4.93, but still getting the constant WMI Provider Host polling.  I am assuming it is one of the causes for the far less than advertised battery life.

Best,

Matt

KS17
Paper Tape
Views: 1,067
Message 10 of 11

I am just checking in to see if that early version was made available; Windows keeps installing the faulty driver in the background, even though I keep rolling it back. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors