cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cornelius_III
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,294
Message 1 of 13

X1 Carbon 5th Gen // Anyone Else Experience High CPU Usage from "Windows Audio Device" Process?

I solved this issue (see my other post) with the help of Lenovo support techs by rolling back the HD Audio Driver in Device Manager.  Changed it from the Lenovo-supplied Conexant HD Audio driver to the generic Microsoft HD Audio driver.  CPU usage is now running at <1% for the "Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation" process in Task Manager, whereas prior to rolling back the Conexant driver CPU usage was a constant 15% to 30%, and it occasionally spiked at much higher levels (on two occasions in excess of 90% CPU usage for the 'WADGI' process).  Everything's been fine since the rollback, but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their 2017 X1 Carbon?  I don't think it's a sound card (hardware) issue because CPU usage is normal when using the Microsoft driver and there is nothing wrong with the audio output or mic input.  I'm thinking it has to be poorly written s/w code for the Conexant driver, but would like to hear any other views on the subject, especially if you've had a similar experience.  When I was experiencing higher CPU usage with the Conexant audio driver it also caused the fan to kick in a lot more often, of course, particularly when other processes were in play, but now the machine is very nearly always fan silent, with only occasional, momentary spikes of fan use, which is normal.

Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Gen (20HR) / i5 7300U / 16GB RAM / Win10 'Creators' ver. 10.0.15063
ianwjhalliday
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,122
Message 2 of 13

Re: X1 Carbon 5th Gen // Anyone Else Experience High CPU Usage from "Windows Audio Device"

I have seen this recently on a friend's old Thinkpad X1 laptop.  Didn't investigate it before upgrading to Windows 10, but in Windows 10 definitely saw the audio device graph process using CPU constantly between 5-20%.

I just got an X1 Yoga 2nd gen and have seen this once or twice, but it isn't persistent like it was on the old X1.  I also found that changing the drivers back to Microsoft's drivers resolves the issue on the old X1.  I haven't tried it on my new X1 Yoga yet, and I don't know if it would mean losing functionality like Dolby and smart audio features etc, but I'll give it a try since I expect to only need sound for watching videos and not video conferencing.

Cornelius_III
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,117
Message 3 of 13

Re: X1 Carbon 5th Gen // Anyone Else Experience High CPU Usage from "Windows Audio Device"

@ianwjhalliday wrote:

I have seen this recently on a friend's old Thinkpad X1 laptop.  Didn't investigate it before upgrading to Windows 10, but in Windows 10 definitely saw the audio device graph process using CPU constantly between 5-20%.

I just got an X1 Yoga 2nd gen and have seen this once or twice, but it isn't persistent like it was on the old X1.  I also found that changing the drivers back to Microsoft's drivers resolves the issue on the old X1.  I haven't tried it on my new X1 Yoga yet, and I don't know if it would mean losing functionality like Dolby and smart audio features etc, but I'll give it a try since I expect to only need sound for watching videos and not video conferencing.

Yeah, I think I probably lost Dolby and other smart audio features that were part of the Conexant driver functionality but like you, I don't require those 3rd-party enhancements and in my case, the Conexant driver was causing significant CPU usage ... very high ... and reverting to the MS generic driver did resolve the problem.

Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Gen (20HR) / i5 7300U / 16GB RAM / Win10 'Creators' ver. 10.0.15063
ianwjhalliday
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,025
Message 4 of 13

Glad to hear it.

I hope a Lenovo employee sees this and files an issue internally.  The audio drivers should not be causing constant moderate CPU usage.

Cornelius_III
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,012
Message 5 of 13

@ianwjhalliday wrote:

Glad to hear it.

I hope a Lenovo employee sees this and files an issue internally.  The audio drivers should not be causing constant moderate CPU usage.

Not even moderate.  CPU usage frequently exceeded 50% just from that one process, all because of the Conexant audio driver.  Still happily using the MS generic audio driver and right now machine is running at 5% total CPU usage with lots of programs open, as it should be.  The Lenovo support team in Eastern Europe raised the issue to their next level when I spoke with them but following that you can't get any feedback.  And they told me that they can't either.  We'll just have to wait and see how long it takes for Lenovo /Conexant to come up with something.

MVKNJ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,803
Message 6 of 13

Same issue on my X1 Yoga 2 Gen.  Between the Synaptics WMI Polling and the WDAG CPU spiking battery draining issues, it would be nice if they fixed the drivers for these exspensive and premium machines.  As I mentioned in other threads, love the hardware, but these driver issues should be fixed.  

Cornelius_III
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,801
Message 7 of 13

@MVKNJ wrote:

Same issue on my X1 Yoga 2 Gen.  Between the Synaptics WMI Polling and the WDAG CPU spiking battery draining issues, it would be nice if they fixed the drivers for these exspensive and premium machines.  As I mentioned in other threads, love the hardware, but these driver issues should be fixed.  

They have!  Finally.  I had an update (check your Lenovo Companion update service) and the latest Conexant Audio driver was installed.  I was worried that I might once again start experiencing the original issues of extremely high CPU usage relating to the  WADG Isolation process and that I may have to go through the whole process of reverting to the generic audio driver, which was a hassle because Conexant kept reinstalling itself back when I was trying to rollback to the MS driver .. but no ... the new driver is fine.  No need to rollback.  The new Conexant driver never runs the CPU at more than 2% usage.  That's still more than what the generic MS driver used, which typically ran at less than 1%, but I'm not complaining, especially as the previous version of the driver was using in excess of 50% CPU!

MVKNJ
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,796
Message 8 of 13

Thank you for the reply. I just checked and nothing new showed up. When did you get this new driver?
Cornelius_III
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,793
Message 9 of 13

@MVKNJ wrote:
Thank you for the reply. I just checked and nothing new showed up. When did you get this new driver?

You know what?  It wasn't from Lenovo Companion.  Sorry about the wrong steer.  It was an automatic Windows UpdateCapture.PNG

So, the 23rd June, then.  If WU doesn't give it to you then I suggest you open Device Manager and right-click on the Sounds audio driver and update manually.  Hope that helps.

Highlighted
Cornelius_III
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,791
Message 10 of 13

Or actually, the install was on the 4th July ... but the update was released on the 23rd June.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors