Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gregory_shelton
Punch Card
Views: 24,992
Message 1 of 20

X1 Carbon 5th Gen SSD replacement

I ordered a X1 Carbon 5th Gen with the default 128GB SATA m.2 drive and it arrives next week.  I'd like to replace the drive with a Samsung 960 EVO PCIe NVMe m.2 drive.

Will the laptop support a PCIe NVMe drive if it has a SATA drive installed?

Since I don't have the necessary equipment to clone the existing m.2 drive, I plan to download Lenovo Recovery media from https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103653 to reinstall Windows and whatever drivers, etc I might need.  

This rebuild method should ensure that I have all the same hidden partitions and software as the original PC, correct?

I've loved using my W530 these past 4 years, but excited for the new Carbon.

Thanks in advance for your help.  

gregory_shelton
Punch Card
Views: 24,814
Message 2 of 20

Re: X1 Carbon 5th Gen SSD replacement

My X1 Carbon arrived yesterday and I replaced the 128GB m.2 SATA with a Samsung 960 EVO m.2 PCIe NVMe 1TB drive. in less than 5 minutes.

Before installing the replacement drive, I created a USB recovery drive (Option in Windows 10), but you can also download the recovery media from Lenovo as well.  Reinstallation was flawless.  I took screenshots of programs, driver versions, and disk partitions and they were the same after.

Also, having only used this for 1 day all I can say is the X1 Carbon 5th Gen is a delight.  I've been using a W530 (4 cores and 32GB RAM) the past 4 years and it has been a great machine, but the 6lb weight was really making it a chore to carry around.  I haven't had a chance to run my development environment on it yet, but I'm anticipating good things.   I wasn't sure if I would be satisfied with FHD vs WQHD, but FHD is just fine for this form factor.  I opted for the WWAN and it was a painless setup at the AT&T store.  The keyboad is top notch and what you expect from a ThinkPad and the touchpad is awesome - the glass surface really makes a difference.  Ordered a Lenovo Thunderbolt dock, but while I wait for that to arrive, I'm using a Lenovo USB-C Display Port adapter and daisy chaining 2 WQHD monitors with no problems.  When I ordered on Mar 31 it said the ship time was 4-5 weeks, but it arrived 12 days later.  Can't beat that.

hyohan0125
Paper Tape
Views: 24,203
Message 3 of 20

hi. I just am chatting with sales person about x1 carbon 5th generation ssd replacement. 

my question is here. 

if I choose 128GB ssd, sata 3 (basic option, I think you chose this option too), can I replace NVME pcie type SSD to same slot?

the sales person answered me "you need adapter to install nvme pcie type". 

that is correct? 

gregory_shelton
Punch Card
Views: 24,197
Message 4 of 20

I ordered a 128GB SSD SATA3 and replaced with a PCIe NVMe Samsung 960 EVO SSD without issue. Getting performance expected from the NVMe so apparently the slot on the board works with SATA 3 and PCIe NVMe.

Good luck!
gregory_shelton
Punch Card
Views: 24,196
Message 5 of 20

I didn't need an adapter.
nisheel
What's DOS?
Views: 23,903
Message 6 of 20

Hi there. Is this your model 20HR0011US ?

Because if you see this http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_5th_Gen (specfication tab) it says some models come with SATA and some with NVMe.

I want to buy the base i5 model with 128Gb and then upgrade it myself to with a Samsung EVO 512. 

Just don't want to get stuck buying it and then figuring it doesn't have the slot. Hence re-checking the model.

Cheers,

nisheel

guygordon
What's DOS?
Views: 23,706
Message 7 of 20

We got a couple of the 20HR build X1C Gen 5 machines with the 128 SATA onboard and replaced them with Samsung 960 EVO 512 NVMe with no trouble at all. Only took a few minutes to swap on the machines (very quick and easy). MAJOR cost saving over the 512 option Lenovo has.

Archie7
Punch Card
Views: 21,597
Message 8 of 20

I just bought a new X1 Carbon 5th Gen with the basic 128GB SATA drive.

I then ordered a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB to replace it.

I've created a USB Recovery Disc on USB using Windows 10.

However I can't get the laptop to boot off this USB drive.

Initially I replaced the SATA with the 960 EVO PCIe NVMe and tried to boot off the USB and the laptop never booted.

If I put the original drive back in, the X1 will eventually boot off the m.2 SATA after not finding the USB.  I did go into setup to make the USB HDD and USB CD higher in the boot priority, but it doesn't seem to work.

I'm guessing there are some other configuration setting I may need to change?

did you have to change any boot settings to get it to boot off of your USB thumb drive?

Archie7
Punch Card
Views: 21,532
Message 9 of 20

I was able to reinstall Win10 on the new Samsung 960 EVO by downloading the lenovo recovery media from their site and installing it on a USB thumb drive.  

Not sure why I had problems with a USB thumb drive that I created a recovery drive using Win10 itself.

I compared the two thumb drives and do notice that

1) the Lenovo created one does have several file folders that the Window create drive does not

2) it uses 9.6 GB of space on the drive versus only 7.3 GB of space on the Windows created drive.

any way I'm glad it works.  

dhave
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,362
Message 10 of 20

Can this model X1 take a "standard" SSD (e.g., Samsung 850 EVO SATA 3, circa 2013?), or does it require a PCIe SSD?

I own a nice 500 Gb SATA 3 SSD which I'd like to install in an X1.

Thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors