Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ClonedOne
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,447
Message 1 of 6

X1 Carbon 5th Gen dead after bios update

Hi, I have just bought a factory refurbished X1 Carbon 5th gen and was going through the initial updates routine.

After the classical huge Win10 initial update, I opened Lenovo companion and started the update process.

It started a bios update, rebooted and after 5 minutes the screen went black.

I waited some time, tried pressing some keys... nothing. It's dead.

Is there any one with some experience on the subject that has some good ideas on how to wake it up?

Thanks

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,432
Message 2 of 6

Re: X1 Carbon 5th Gen dead after bios update

Good day.

Sorry you're having trouble.

So it's fiully powered down, or in a hung state?

Not sure it will help, but you might try the emergency reset hole.

See page 6 in the user guide: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x1_carbon_5th_ug_en.pdf

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

ClonedOne
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,427
Message 3 of 6

Yes but neither short pressure nor prolonged pressure of the reset button seem to have any effect

Lenovo Employee Rydeen
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,403
Message 4 of 6

Dear ClonedOne,

>It started a bios update, rebooted and after 5 minutes the screen went black.

In order to understand the current your situation clearly, what kind of screen activities you watched this 5 minuts duration after reboot?

Normally, when System Update kicked BIOS Update Utility, it copies BIOS and ECFW files and start the Windows shutdown process, then reboot to perform the actual BIOS update process by displaying text mode message/indicator.  Did you see this BIOS update process, or you didn't see any screen contenst after reboot?

Did you see this BIOS update progress message/indicators ?   or just

Have you seen this

ClonedOne
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,385
Message 5 of 6

Yes the update process started.

Update: Restarting the laptop produced a series of beeps. Using the official Lenovo PC diagnostic application to identify the beep signals showed a critical problem with the TCG-compliant-functionality. The suggested action is the replacement of the system board. I have now started a return procedure.

Flymo
What's DOS?
Views: 1,197
Message 6 of 6

I have the same issue as well.   My Thinkpad Twist is bricked after an unsuccessful install of the BIOS yesterday.

I called Lenovo Support and they had two solutions: a new motherboard at £x00's, or to buy a new laptop.

Not impressed with the customer support.  This does seem to be a widespread problem with this BIOS release.   Lenovo should be doing something about it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals