Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tyrant917
Paper Tape
Views: 142
Message 1 of 3

X1 Carbon 5th Gen decrypt NVMe with dead motherboard

I have a 5th gen X1 Carbon with NVMe drive. I enabled encryption in BIOS. Now the motherboard is dead. Is it possible to put the NVMe drive in another identical model working X1 Carbon, boot it up with password and get access to the data again? Or does anyone know of a utility/tool to decrypt the the NVMe drive provided I have the password?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 93
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon 5th Gen decrypt NVMe with dead motherboard

I assume you are talking about hardware encryption built into the drive.  Yes.  It should work fine and you don't even need an udentical model.  Any modern Thinkpad that accepts the NVME drive should work fine.  Boot into the BIOS and remove the HDD password.  If uou put it into a machine that accepts two 2280 drives (like P50/P51/P52/P70, etc.) it will prompt for this password on boot as drive 2.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Highlighted
skywalkr
Punch Card
Views: 59
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon 5th Gen decrypt NVMe with dead motherboard

Yes that should work.  However, if it does not, then find a model from the same Model series and use it.

I ran into a situation a few years back with a SATA SSD which I'd BIOS locked/encrypted.  I had to find the exact same model Thinkpad to unlock it... It was strange but that's what it took.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors