Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 5 (642 Views)

X1 Carbon 5th Generation problem with Thunderbolt 3 dock

Hello everybody,

We have purchased the X1 Carbon 5th Gen Laptop, which by the way is a great piece of hardware, with Thunderbolt 3 dock. 

The problem: the laptop does not recognize the dock. other laptop (identical with the problematic one, works perfectly...

Any sugestions?

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Message 2 of 5 (582 Views)

Re: X1 Carbon 5th Generation problem with Thunderbolt 3 dock

There are BIOS settings related to Thunderbolt (in the "Config" menu of BIOS setup), are these settings configured identically on both ThinkPads?  As an experiment, try setting the security level to "No Security" and see if you can get it working that way...

Same BIOS version on both ThinkPads?

Paper Tape
Message 3 of 5 (565 Views)

Ok, that did the magic...

interesting. when i restarted the laptop, the device was connected and waiting for approval. After approval everything was fine.

Thanks!

Blue Screen Again
Message 4 of 5 (236 Views)

I was going to start a new thread but I also have an issue with the dock. I actually have it working after changing the security level to "No Security" in the BIOS however in order to do that I had to change the graphics memory from 512MB to 256MB. I need 512MB for applications I use such as Photoshop but also need to use the dock!

Without changing the graphics option in the BIOS to 256MB, the system will not let you make changes to the Thunderbolt 3 security level. Can you please tell me how I can use 512MB graphics whilst also using the dock?

A bit more info: It is possible to use the dock with 512MB graphics memory set however only the HDMI and displayport work - the USB, headphones and USB ports do not work in that configuration. I have also ran the firmware update for the dock, installed the drivers necessary and ensured that my X1 drivers and firmware are also up-to-date.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Blue Screen Again
Message 5 of 5 (28 Views)

Hi Matt! I also have this problem. Moderate graphics use and a lot of lag when set to 256MB video...but to change the setting to 512 MB, my USB devices get disabled. I posted about it separately here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/tp02_en/thread-id/80697

If you find an answer, can you share it with me?
Top kudoed Authors