Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shinymoon
Punch Card
Views: 2,414
Message 11 of 32

Re: X1 Carbon 5th gen - Sierra EM7455 WWAN - SIM not recognised

"Do you replace the sim card while the laptop is powered off completely, using the Shift key?"
I did not get the relevance of the shift key...?

"Is the sim card visible and does the wwan modem work properly after the laptop cold start, reboot, resume?"

Once the trick with the Sierra firmware utility is performed to enable the WWAN, the SIM can be removed and reinserted while the laptop is completely off and it is then recognised after power on. If you however remove the SIM while the laptop is on, it is no longer recognised until the firmware trick is applied again.

"I'd suggest to update the BIOS, to discard its influence. The best way to do that is to use external CD or prepare USB flash drive with EFI tools. There is a tool to create that drive within the BIOS update package. You have to extract it - confirm to save the files extracted at the first installation stage once package is launched and cancel the real BIOS update for the 2nd request. "

Can you please explain this part? I don't get it - update BIOS but actually cancel updating BIOS? What good does that do? And update with what if there is no newer?

Shinymoon
Punch Card
Views: 2,397
Message 12 of 32

Just installed a BIOS update (did not show one available until today), so now running N1MET31W (1.16) from 10.03.2017. No impact on WWAN SIM recognition issue.

I can also confirm awharton's observation that if the SIM is inserted while the PC is off, it is then recognised.

If inserted (or removed and re-inserted / swapped) while on, it is not recognised.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,392
Message 13 of 32

@Shinymoon wrote:

"Do you replace the sim card while the laptop is powered off completely, using the Shift key?"
I did not get the relevance of the shift key...?

Normal Windows 10 shutdown is more like hibernation.  Holding the shift key when selecting shutdown forces a full (old style) shutdown, so the next startup is a true cold boot.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,391
Message 14 of 32

There is some contradiction:

You wrote:
> I did not get the relevance of the shift key...?

and
> while the laptop is completely off

I assume you mean just standard power off in the OS power menu, w/out Shift key. It doesn't power off laptop completely, just puts it into one of the stand-by mode.

The sim card isn't a hot plug device. It can't be swapped or inserted while laptop is powered even in any stand-by mode. Moreover, internal laptop battery must be disabled temporarily in the BIOS Setup for the sim card replacement. For proofs contact your cellular operator support or read the laptop User Guide.

As I mentioned above the firmware update resets the modem, that keeps the sim card further recognition. It's the same action as could be performed via modem' virtual port using AT command.

Regarding the BIOS update.
BIOS update package (as well as any other update) from the Lenovo support site is an executable archive. The stages to install the driver or apply the update are:
1) to extract content and save it to the temporary folder (usually it's a subfolder in the default folder c:\drivers )
2) to launch setup application and install appropriate driver etc.from the temporary folder above.

Everything is being performed in the batch. The user can change temporary folder, cancel every stage. If you navigate to the folder after the 1st stage, there wiil be content of the package. In case of the BIOS update package there will be flash tools and BIOS images.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Shinymoon
Punch Card
Views: 2,369
Message 15 of 32

"I assume you mean just standard power off in the OS power menu, w/out Shift key. It doesn't power off laptop completely, just puts it into one of the stand-by mode."

Yes. This is what I meant.

"The sim card isn't a hot plug device. It can't be swapped or inserted while laptop is powered even in any stand-by mode. Moreover, internal laptop battery must be disabled temporarily in the BIOS Setup for the sim card replacement. For proofs contact your cellular operator support or read the laptop User Guide"

I am sorry, I just need to check if I am understanding you right:

Are you suggesting that what can be done on my:

• 7 years old VAIO,
  • 5 years old T420,
  • 4 years old HP Elitebook,
  • any iPhone or any other mobile phone for that matter

and is according to the GCF-certification of any mobile network device cannot (and should not) be done on a 2017 X1 Carbon flagman? 

Are you also suggesting that the microSD slot of the laptop cannot be used to insert/remove SD-cards while the laptop is on (since it is behind the SIM cover, which pulls out the SIM)? 

I know what it says in the User Guide, but that makes no sense at all.

Or did I misunderstand...?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,353
Message 16 of 32

I can only quote the x1c UG (BTW, such requirements are the same diregarding the laptop generation):
"Chapter 9. Replacing devices, p.99
Replacing the micro SIM card, p100

To replace the micro SIM card, do the following:
1. Ensure that the computer is turned off and disconnected from ac power and all cables."

As the microSD card needs the micro-sim card tray be ejected, the actions are the same. UG quote:
"To replace a microSD card, do the following:
1. Ensure that the computer is turned off and disconnected from ac power and all cables.
3. Locate the micro-SIM-card tray at the rear side of the computer.
4. Do the following:
a. Insert a straightened paper clip into the hole in the micro-SIM-card tray."

I agree, these requirements seem inconvenient. May be the sim card replacement behavior (disappearance) could be resolved by the wwan card firmware as the sim card pins are routed to the wwan card connector. I don't know.

Regarding other devices you've listed.
Just the single question about T420: as the sim card slot is placed in the battery compartment, do you remove and plug back the battery while the laptop is powered by AC charger? If "yes", that's your deal and risk.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Shinymoon
Punch Card
Views: 2,337
Message 17 of 32

Well... not much to say really.... it is one thing to cover all bases in the fashion of "don't put living animals in the microwave", totally different to actually prevent usage (even if by not resolving apparent sw issues).

I should be thankful the UG does not advise the charger to only be connected and disconnected when the laptop is off.... or does it...

Never seen a "protected" SD-card slot either, that is only supposed to be used when the laptop is off.

T420 (as well as Vaio) - I use them without battery when stationary for prolonged periods of time. A SIM can be inserted any time, it is recognised... same as on any phone (that allows that without removal of battery). This is actually a GCF requirement for compliance of mobile network devices (to recognise SIM card whenever inserted). 

srjohny
What's DOS?
Views: 2,062
Message 18 of 32

Hello , could you confirm me if lenovo x1 carbon 5th has 2 slots , one for 4g LTE and another for Micro sd? 

MattiasO
Paper Tape
Views: 1,841
Message 19 of 32

Hi,

Sorry for the necro posting but I just got my X1C5 and I'm facing the same problem, only I can't get the SIM to be recognized even if I do a hard restart and/or do the fw trick. Did you ever get this sorted?

awharton
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,826
Message 20 of 32

First time I've tested this while abroad. Only way to get the SIM recognised is to do a proper full shutdown or the FW trick.

The problem is even when you get the SIM recognised - the signal is so poor that it's unusable. Put the same SIM in my iPhone or iPad and the signal at least has one or two bars.

Totally unnaceptable for a top line business laptop from Lenovo. Already called out an engineer and was told there is nothing that can be done.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors