cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shinymoon
Punch Card
Views: 8,914
Message 1 of 9

X1 Carbon 5th gen battery life - real life experience?

To all owners of X1 Carbon 2017 (5th gen).

I read all of those reviews where people are impressed by 10+ hours of battery life (15,5h advertised), but I can't really figure out how....!?

First time I tested was a normal working day - Firefox (a lot of Flash it must be said), Outlook, Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat. Nothing really heavy, no peripherals except Bluetooth mouse. Brightness dimmed 1 level below the ideal. 

It lasted for about 4 hours!

I windows's list of apps affecting battery life, Firefox was on 1st place with 32-35%

Second attempt - same set of tasks, however less Firefox (no flash) - 7 hours.

Now in the middle of a 3rd attempt (using Opera this time) - battery time remaining indication goes over 10h only when I completely stop using the laptop Smiley Happy Not many apps running in the background either (Dropbox, Skype...)

So my question - do you guys get more than 10h of battery life and HOW? Do you enable "Battery Stretch"? How actively do you use it and for what?

chrismaydev
What's DOS?
Views: 6,932
Message 2 of 9

Re: X1 Carbon 5th gen battery life - real life experience?

I'm getting less than 3 hours of battery life on my brand new X1C.  I'm really disappointed.

Is this something that I should warranty or is this the typical performance?

Rob-o
What's DOS?
Views: 6,761
Message 3 of 9

Got my loaded X1 C yesterday, charged it to 100% and barely started to used it to notice the power level reading 83% over web browsing! 10-15 hours ??

Enabled the Windows 10 battery saver mode and it jumped from 5.5 to 13 hours (the screen is much darker). I'm also trying the Lenovo battery drainage reset utility. 

Lastly, read using MS edge browser consumes less power than chrome/Firefox. Regardless, it should be better than this out of the box. I did opt for the higher resolution screen but was it really worth it at this cost? 

TechSavvy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,688
Message 4 of 9

Something is going on with your X1C - I have a 2017 5th Gen. with the standard resolution (non-touchscreen) panel and it's a solid 10 hour machine for medium to heavy use for me (lots of browsing + lots of open tabs, 6 email accounts, and usually Excel or Word running as well).  No special power saving mode - just the default set-up.

BetteryBatteryBar shows it using about 5-7 watts on average.  

Views: 5,433
Message 5 of 9

Guys can anyone give me the real life battery time?...I like everything about this laptop and if it can give me 10 hrs atleast on wifi, Excel, Chrome with 60-70% brightness.......i'll buy it..

please add your comments...i don't want to spend 1500 only to find battery in real world is 5 hrs Smiley Sad

B___jamin
What's DOS?
Views: 4,297
Message 6 of 9

Also struggling to get over 3 hours (on a good day!)

Any recommended battery testing applications out there so that I can figure out if it's my usage or if I have a dud battery?

lenanto
SCSI Port
Views: 4,278
Message 7 of 9

I think the battery life depends on the processor used as well.

My configuration is with:

• i5 7300U
  • 16GB
  • WQHD display
  • 1TB SSD

My daily work day applications mostly consist of Office, Chrome, Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, and WhatsApp desktop all on. I am not really watching any videos except for the occasional short clip if it is. I keep the screen brightness around 50% most of the time.

I can say that I manage to get a full work day without having to plug in, and have still not had a case where the battery was running out and needed to plug in before neeing to go home. How many hours this is per day varies, but I would estimate that this is between 6 and 10 hours of "screen on time" per day.

One user mentioned Firefox. I will also note that it seems that Firefox takes a lot of battery/resources. I am considering switching for most tasks to Edge as a result actually, as it seems to be significantly better on battery life.

bluefear
What's DOS?
Views: 4,272
Message 8 of 9

So i went ahead and bought this great  machine... I5 7th gen... 8gb..256gb ssd... Full HD display... I'm easily getting over 12 hrs with 50-60% brightness 

meeotch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,184
Message 9 of 9

To the folks who are getting 10+ hours - what power settings are you using?  I'm on the "Balanced" power plan, with everything set to defaults except Adaptive Screen Brightness turned off.  With the Power Mode slider under the battery icon menu set to 2/3 (one click down from "best performance"), my battery gauge was showing 3hrs at 84% charge.  Changing the Power Mode to 1/3 (one click up from "best battery life") seemed to get it to settle down at just over 6 hours with 84%.  Oddly, changing it back to 2/3 seemed to have no effect.

Right now, I'm reading 5 hours at 67%.  The common thread to all these numbers is that they work out to 7 hours and change at full charge.  This is doing nothing but using Firefox to write this post, brightness at 7/10.

Oddly, BetterBatteryBar is now giving a significantly different estimate:  4:22, vs. 5:03 from the Lenovo & Windows battery icons.  BBB gives about 6.5W, which is the lowest I've seen since I installed it - previous figures were 7-8W.

I've timed the machine playing full screen video, and gotten 6 hours.  Which is understandable, I suppose.  But I'd really hoped for better than 7 hours when basically doing very little.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors